Newcastle ‘vetoed’ summer Sissoko exit

Date published: Monday 7th September 2015 10:30

Moussa Sissoko Newcastle

Moussa Sissoko has revealed he did ponder a summer move away from Tyneside, but says Newcastle “vetoed” any potential exit.

The France midfielder has confirmed there was concrete interest in him in the summer and he has admitted he was mulling over a move before the club blocked his pathway out of the club.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain have all been linked with the 26-year-old, who has previously stated his desire to play in the Champions League.

In an interview with France Football, Sissoko was asked if he had received offers this summer, and he replied: “Yes I did. There were clubs – but Newcastle vetoed.”

Sissoko then admitted: “It could have been a good time to leave,” when asked whether he made the right decision to stay with the Magpies.

“There have been discussions (over the summer) with the club, who said they were against my departure, so I stayed,” added Sissoko.

Sissoko, who signed from Toulouse for just £1.5million, signed a six-and-a-half-year contract in January 2013 and has admitted he will consider his club future after next summer’s European Championships in his homeland.

“It’s still far away. I have ambitions, but I will first think about having a good Euro 2016, which I hope to win with France.

“And, at that time, I will have all the time for reflection (on my future),” added Sissoko.

More Related Articles

Comments