Alan Pardew has revealed Wilfried Zaha has asked to be allowed to join Tottenham but insists the winger will stay at Crystal Palace.
On Thursday Palace rejected a £12million offer from London rivals Tottenham for Zaha – a bid Parish called “ridiculous”.
It is understood Zaha arranged a meeting with Pardew at the club’s training ground where he made clear his wish to join Spurs.
However, Parish responded by assuring Palace fans that the 23-year-old would be “going nowhere – 100 per cent guaranteed”.
And Pardew said: “Wilf came to see me and said he believed there was interest from Tottenham and could he go and I said we’d have to see what that bid is. We didn’t instigate the transfer.
“I think the chairman has put the full stop on that deal. I think that’s the right thing for us because we’ve made a lot of changes already and he was our player of the year last year and a fans’ favourite, so we’re very keen to keep him.
“I’ve worked well with Wilf here. I have no problem with Wilf whatsoever, I complete understand what’s gone on. I think he’s improved under my management. The club did well to bring him back here to give him a settled situation and he’s playing some great football and that’s what we want to continue.
“I think the chairman’s statement says it all about how we feel because there have been changes to take the team in a different direction.”
Zaha is understood to be desperate to leave as he is eager to play under Mauricio Pochettino and test himself in the Champions League.
Pardew understands the attraction of an opportunity to play at the highest level of club football and insists he will not hold it against the player going forward.
“You can have ups and downs with players. I have no problem with Wilf whatsoever, I complete understand what’s gone on,” said Pardew.
“He’s our player of the year and a player that I see in my plans going forward.”