Ayoze Perez has committed his future to Newcastle by signing a new five-and-a-half-year contract which ties him to St James’ Park until the summer of 2021.
The 22-year-old former Tenerife striker, who has been linked with Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United among others, put pen to paper on Monday as head coach Steve McClaren continued his efforts to re-shape the squad.
Perez, who has scored 12 goals in 63 appearances for the club, was thrilled to have tied up his future.
He said: “It’s a special day for me, a big day for me. The truth is I’m really happy here, so it’s a good thing for me – and I hope it’s the same for the Geordie family.
“Newcastle gave me everything and I’m really pleased to sign this new contract.”
McClaren was equally happy to have ensured Perez’s extended stay on Tyneside.
He said: “I am delighted that Ayoze has signed a new deal. He is a very good player with huge potential and someone we believe has a very big future at Newcastle United.
“We are building this club for the long-term and Ayoze is a very important part of that.”
News of Perez’s new contract came hours after the Magpies completed a loan deal for Roma striker Seydou Doumbia.
The 28-year-old Roma frontman will spend the rest of the campaign at St James’ Park, subject to being awarded a visa, and Newcastle have an option to make the transfer permanent in the summer.
Doumbia, who enjoyed hugely successful spells in Switzerland with Young Boys and in Russia with CSKA Moscow earlier in his career, has struggled to make his mark in Serie A, where he has made just 13 league appearances for the Rome club.
The Ivory Coast international said: “I’m delighted to be a Newcastle United player. I’ve already started to prepare. I’ve arrived and I’m ready to go.
“It has always been a dream to play in the Premier League and now that dream has come true, so I’m absolutely delighted. I am looking forward to helping the club get some wins and climb the table.”
McClaren will hope Doumbia adds firepower to a team which has created chances in recent weeks, but not taken enough of them to ease itself out of the relegation zone.
Newcastle have targetted West Brom’s Saido Berahino, for whom they tabled a £21million bid on Sunday, and have other options in addition to Doumbia.
McClaren said: “It is no secret that we have been looking to add to our options in the striking area. We have been searching for a forward and were delighted when the opportunity arose to take Seydou on loan.
“He is a natural goalscorer, someone who has scored goals in the Champions League and has played at the highest level. We believe he can make a mark in this team.”