Prince William (and Boris) at Wembley for friendly

Date published: Monday 16th November 2015 10:51

Prince William

The Duke of Cambridge will attend Tuesday night’s friendly between England and France at Wembley out of “solidarity to the people of France”, a royal source has said.

Kensington Palace confirmed William, in his role as Football Association president, would be in attendance when France played their first game since the terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday, which included three suicide bombers detonating vests outside the Stade de France while Les Bleus were playing Germany.

The game will take place amid heightened security after the FA announced more security officers had been drafted in to create a stronger and more visible presence for the 70,000 spectators who are expected.

London mayor Boris Johnson will also be in attendance.

Johnson said it was “absolutely right” for the match to go ahead, in spite of the attacks in Paris.

“The horrific atrocities perpetrated in Paris on Friday were an attack on our very way of life, our freedom, our democracy,” he said.

“Of course we can never be complacent, and tomorrow’s game will be policed appropriately, but I can’t think of a better riposte to this ideology of hate than to carry on with our lives, our loves and our passions.

“Football is one such passion, and it is absolutely right that tomorrow’s match is to go ahead and that England supporters will be able to come together with their French cousins in solidarity and remembrance to enjoy international football at its very best.”

More Related Articles

Comments