New boy Keita: Liverpool project ‘excites me greatly’

Date published: Tuesday 29th August 2017 10:16

Liverpool have agreed a deal for RB Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita to join the Merseyside club from July 1 next year.

The Reds announced the signing of the 22-year-old on their website on Tuesday morning, confirming the Guinea international would move to Anfield in time for next season.

Reports in Germany and England suggest Liverpool will pay a premium on top of a £48million buy-out clause which comes into effect next year to sign their long-term target.

Keita told Liverpool’s website: “I am delighted that an agreement has been reached which will allow me to join Liverpool Football Club next summer, when I will become part of a project that excites me greatly.

“My commitment to RBL remains absolute for the remainder of my time at the club. I have given my all every time I have worn the shirt – that will be the case until the final whistle, in my final appearance.

“Having my future resolved means I can now focus on helping RBL achieve great things this season. Until I join my new club, next summer, I will remain an interested supporter from a distance.”

Keita impressed last season as Leipzig finished second in the Bundesliga and qualified for the Champions League.

The Premier League club were heavily linked with the player earlier in the summer but no deal materialised despite a reported bid of £66million.

German newspaper Bild said Liverpool will pay 75million euros (£69.4million) should Leipzig qualify for next season’s Champions League, 70million euros (£64.8million) if Leipzig secure a Europa League place, or 65million euros (£60.2million) should they fail to earn a place in Europe.

More Related Articles

Comments