Sakho asked for ban to be imposed, claim UEFA

Date published: Wednesday 8th June 2016 8:42

Mamadou Sakho Liverpool

Mamadou Sakho’s initial 30-day ban for testing positive for a banned substance was imposed at the Liverpool defender’s request.

Sakho missed the final months of the season after testing positive for a fat-burning substance following the Europa League last-16 second-leg tie with Manchester United.

The Frenchman was not initially banned but was made unavailable for first-team selection after discussions with the club, before UEFA imposed a provisional 30-day ban from April 28.

The 26-year-old was reported to be facing a suspension of up to two years if he was found guilty of taking a banned substance, but it emerged last month that UEFA had opted not to extend his ban.

Speaking to French newspaper L’Equipe, UEFA’s chief medical officer Marc Vouillamoz has claimed that Sakho’s initial 30-day ban was made at his own request.

“Some substances cause an automatic suspension, others not. And in this case, the player wished to be suspended temporarily, of his own will, and UEFA acceded to his request,” Vouillamoz said.

To my knowledge, the disciplinary committee will decide fairly quickly on the case,” he said. “Information was taken from experts, documents were passed to the defence of the player.

“Now the player has the opportunity to speak, and once the player has given his opinion, the commission will look very quickly on the case.”

More Related Articles

Comments