Stade de France hit in night of terror

Date published: Saturday 14th November 2015 3:15

Stade de France

Three people were killed at the Stade de France on the night over 120 people lost their lives in terror attacks across Paris.

At least six attacks have been reported across Paris, including two suicide attacks and a bombing near the stadium, where the national football side was playing a friendly match against Germany.

French president Francois Hollande said he was closing the country’s borders and declaring a state of emergency.

Hollande had been watching France’s 2-0 win over Germany but left the stadium early.

Fans flooded onto the pitch while players watched events unfold on screens in the tunnel.

“We are all in shock,” said Germany coach Joachim Low, who admitted a terror scare earlier in the day had frightened his players and staff.

“The game and the goals move into the background on a day like this. All of us on the bench were a bit scared.”

France, who will host next summer’s European Championship, are scheduled to play England in a friendly at Wembley on Tuesday.

However, French newspaper L’Equipe has reported the friendly at Wembley has already been postponed.

A planned news conference on Saturday involving the France national team has been cancelled.

“The French Football Federation shares the emotion that shakes the nation,” said Noel Le Graet, president of the French Football Federation.

The FFF later confirmed it had cancelled a France press conference and open training session on Saturday.

The French will train behind closed doors at their Clairefontaine base instead; it is likely that Tuesday’s friendly in England will be cancelled.

The attacks raise serious concerns about fans’ safety at Euro 2016, which is being held in France.

Le Great told L’Equipe: “For the Euro, there was already a big worry. Today it’s obviously even stronger.”

More Related Articles

Comments