Townsend ‘disappointed’ by exit, ‘delighted’ by move

Date published: Thursday 28th January 2016 10:35

Andros Townsend had mixed feelings over his move to Newcastle, admitting he was “disappointed” to leave Tottenham.

Townsend finally completed his £12million switch to Newcastle on Wednesday, signing a five-and-a-half-year deal at St James’ Park.

The 24-year-old winger admitted he was disappointed to leave Tottenham, the club he joined as an eight-year-old, but was “delighted” to be linking up with his new club.

“Growing up a Spurs fans and being at the club since the age of eight, I obviously planned to spend most of my career at Spurs,” Townsend told the Northern Echo. “So of course it was disappointing. I would have liked a better exit. But now I just have to move forward and try to build a career here.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Townsend added: “I’m delighted. It was a drawn-out process. It’s no secret talks had been going for a month. But I’m just delighted to be a Newcastle player and I can’t wait to get going.

“Newcastle was the right club for me at this stage of my career. I had a good chat with the manager [Steve McClaren] and he seems to know the way I play inside out.

“Newcastle is a massive club. They may be down the bottom of the table but they are still one of the biggest clubs in the Premier League. They have a big stadium, a great fan base and hopefully I can do well.

“It is important for me to have a manager that believes in my abilities, knows the way I play inside out, and knows what I can bring to the team.

“Hopefully, it will all come together nicely on the pitch. He’s told me how much the fans love a winger. He says get the ball and be direct. He has given me bullet points of my strengths and weaknesses, what he wants from a winger in and out of possession. Everything is pretty clear. I know exactly what the manager wants from me and he knows what he will get from me.”


More Related Articles

Comments