United and Chelsea hold talks over Barbosa move

Date published: Friday 12th August 2016 12:12

Gabriel Barbosa Brazil

Manchester United and Chelsea have held discussions with Santos over the possibility of signing striker Gabriel Barbosa, the Brazilian club’s president confirms.

Santos are already believed to have knocked back bids from Leicester, Juventus and Inter Milan for the 19-year-old, nicknamed Gabigol.

Barbosa is understood to have told Santos that he desires a move to a big European club and expects to be sold before the end of the summer transfer window.

The Brazilian international, who is part of the Seleçao squad at the Olympic games, has scored 21 goals in each of the last two seasons for Santos, while he has already bagged five in ten games since the start of the 2016 campaign.

Santos president Modesto Roma confirmed that although there hadn’t been offers from the Red Devils and the Blues for Barbosa, they had been in talks with the clubs.

“We had productive conversations,” Roma told Goal.

“We didn’t come to buy or sell players, neither in London or Madrid. We came to build relationships.

“There weren’t offers, but we did talk about partnerships. I talked to Manchester United, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid.”

More Related Articles

Comments