Wenger discusses Man Utd link with Ozil

Date published: Friday 15th December 2017 10:21

Arsene Wenger has dismissed Manchester United’s interest in Mesut Ozil and said the playmaker will not leave next month.

United have been heavily linked with Ozil, whose contract expires next summer, but the Gunners boss says there has not been approach from Jose Mourinho.

Ozil is able to talk to foreign clubs from January and could leave Arsenal on a free transfer in the summer. The Gunners, though, have left an offer on the table for the player and his agent.

And earlier this week his agent Dr Erkut Sogut has suggested that his client could yet stay in north London.

He said: “Ozil wants to play another two to three years in the Premier League. Our contacts with Arsenal continue and are going in a positive way.”

And when Wenger was asked about Ozil’s contract talks, he replied: “How close? I don’t know how close.

“We have never been approached by Manchester United anyway so I don’t see why that came up. That is something that has been created. [He’ll stay] until the end of the season, the rest is open.”

Wenger was then topically asked what he would like for Christmas.

“My wish and my desire is that everybody stays. If you come in and tell me ‘I will offer you this for this player’ I will tell you yes or no,” he said.

Theo Walcott is out of tomorrow’s clash with Newcastle and Wenger admitted he will rotate his team around again after leaving Alexandre Lacazette on the bench at West Ham.

“He recently had a groin problem so I rested him. I rotated.

“I don’t know yet, I rotate a little bit at the moment,” added Wenger. “We play four games in nine days so I will assess how everybody recovers.”

Aaton Ramsey also injured his hamstring in last weekend’s 1-1 draw at Southampton and sits out.


More Related Articles

Comments