Pulis: ‘Brilliant’ Berahino still on penalties

Date published: Thursday 21st April 2016 10:34

Saido Berahino West Brom

Tony Pulis hopes Saido Berahino will sign a new contract at West Brom.

The striker has one more season left on his deal at The Hawthorns and speculation over his future is set to increase once again ahead of the transfer window reopening this summer.

Berahino threatened to go on strike after failing to force through a move to Tottenham last summer, while Newcastle had a £21million bid for the 22-year-old turned down in January.

Pulis said earlier this season he did not begrudge Berahino wanting to play for a top team but he has not given up hope of holding onto the striker.

“I’d like him to sign a new contract if he could, but whether we’ll get that or not, we’ll have to wait and see,” said the Baggies boss.

Pulis stressed that was his own opinion and that he had not discussed the matter with chairman Jeremy Peace.

Berahino has the chance to show Tottenham what they missed out on when the Baggies travel to White Hart Lane on Monday.

Asked if he expected Spurs to come back with another offer this summer, Pulis said: “I don’t know. I haven’t got a clue.

“I wouldn’t second guess anything, I don’t think it’s right for me to second guess, but I’m sure if they do then they’ll get the same response from Jeremy.

“It’s got to be the right deal. If it’s the right deal for the football club, he’ll speak to the board. And he’ll be the sole person who’ll decide that.”

Berahino has undoubtedly been affected by the situation this season, starting only 16 games in the Premier League and scoring four goals.

Relations with the club have improved of late and he has been more of an influence on the pitch but his turbulent season experienced another dip last weekend when he missed two penalties in a 1-0 defeat by Watford.

Berahino will stay on penalty duty for Thursday’s Premier League clash with Arsenal, and Pulis has urged him to finish the campaign on a high.

“I think the important thing is that Saido works hard for the remaining five games, then speak to the chairman and other clubs who are interested,” said the Welshman.

“That is the situation with Saido and it has always been the same.

“The kid is under contract next year again, so as far as I can gauge that is the situation now, as it was a year ago and 18 months ago, and it won’t change until the chairman feels it’s the right move for the football club and the kid.”

Pulis’ own future has been the subject of some speculation but he revealed he and Peace had a meeting on Wednesday to discuss next season.

He said: “We’re trying to get what we want, set up what we want, organise what we want to make sure it’s in place as quickly as we possibly can and then bed it down.

“The season will finish and then we’ll sit down and have a good chat and go through everything.”

Pulis had words of encouragement for Berhino after his penalty misery on Saturday.

“He has been brilliant. He has been as good as gold,” said the Baggies manager.

“He missed two penalties. Everybody does it. The boy wanted to pick the second one up and take that one and he has missed that one.

“He will pick the next one up and take that as well and hopefully he will smash it into the back of the next.

“It’s all character-building for him. He is a tremendous player. This year has been very much a rollercoaster season for him and things have happened to him that have never happened in his career before, but you dust yourself down and move on.

“The kid has been in there and the chances he has missed mean he will get stronger, but he won’t stop going in there. He is that type of character.”

More Related Articles

Comments