Will Berahino play for Baggies again?

Date published: Wednesday 2nd September 2015 12:50

Saido Berahino:  Could feature against Saints

Saido Berahino’s future at West Brom remains in huge doubt, despite chairman Jeremy Peace’s attempts to diffuse the forward’s situation.

The forward took to social media to vent his anger after Albion chairman Peace turned down two further bids from Spurs just hours before the 6pm transfer deadline on Tuesday.

As well as stating his intention ‘never to play for West Brom again during Peace’s chairmanship of the club’, Berahino stated it was “sad” he could not disclose how the club has treated him.

Reports in several national newspapers on Wednesday have claimed the 22-year-old has already been fined by West Brom for his outburst on social networking website Twitter.

After a fourth bid, believed to be £23m, was knocked back, Berahino tweeted: “Sad how I can’t say exactly how the club has treated me but I can officially say I will never play Jeremy Peace.”

It is understood Tottenham had been in talks with West Brom for four months and had been shown encouraging signs that they were willing to conclude a deal for the England Under-21 international.

Prior to deadline day, Tottenham had failed with two bids for Berahino, who also had his written transfer request turned down by West Brom last week.

West Brom manager Tony Pulis was also believed to be keen on the deal, but Peace has rejected all four of Tottenham’s bids since mid-August and has angered the north London club by making their offers public.

Berahino is contracted at The Hawthorns until the summer of 2017 and it is not yet known whether he intends to return to the club for training.

Peace stated last month that the club had “no interest” in selling Berahino and criticised Tottenham for including staggered payments and incentivised add-ons in their offers.

But Tottenham are surprised that Peace made the process personal and confused by his criticism after West Brom’s previous offer for Federico Fazio included similar staged payments and add-ons.

Nevertheless, after the deadline closed at 6pm, Peace once again addressed the issue in a public statement and accused Spurs of tactically trying to unsettle the player.

“We have a key player who has been very unsettled by antics which were designed to get him out of our club cheaply,” he said.

“Those tactics have continued despite my making our position clear in my first conversation with Daniel Levy on this subject in mid-August. I said selling Saido so late in the window was not on our agenda.

“Tottenham’s offers failed substantially to reflect Saido’s true value while the timing made no allowance for our own recruitment of a suitable replacement for a proven Premier League goalscorer.

“Saido has been unsettled to the point where our head coach has not felt able to select him for our last three games. We are now left with the task of repairing the damage created by this unfortunate episode.”

More Related Articles

Comments