Allardyce accepts damages

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has accepted substantial undisclosed damages from former Blackburn boss Steve Kean.

Last Updated: 16/01/13 at 14:21

Sam Allardyce: Accepts damages

Sam Allardyce: Accepts damages

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Kean had claimed that Allardyce was sacked from his previous post at Rovers because he was a "crook".

Allardyce brought defamation proceedings in London's High Court against Kean, who was Blackburn's manager during a summer 2011 pre-season tour of the Far East.

His solicitor, Hanna Basha, told Mr Justice Eady that the "false and defamatory" allegation, made while Kean was drinking in a bar in Hong Kong, was filmed on a camera phone and subsequently published to many hundreds of thousands of people over the internet and reported in the national press.

She said that Kean had acknowledged the allegation was completely untrue, withdrawn it, and agreed to pay a substantial sum in damages.

Kean's counsel, John Mehrzad, offered his apologies for the hurt and distress caused and said he was pleased to set the record straight.

Ms Basha said that Allardyce's claim against Blackburn had been settled and as the club had published an apology on its website, it was not a party to Wednesday's statement in court.

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

Dear Brendan, Please Sign Di Maria

That's the request to Brendan Rodgers in the mailbox, and not just because it would annoy Man United fans. Plus, more thoughts on why Arsenal didn't want Cescy back...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property