Bastia reject Thauvin offer

Bastia chairman Pierre-Marie Geronimi claims to have rejected an offer from Newcastle United for Florian Thauvin and that Arsenal have also shown an interest in the midfielder.

Last Updated: 26/01/13 at 22:01 Post Comment

Florian Thauvin: Bastia midfielder a target for Arsenal and Newcastle

Florian Thauvin: Bastia midfielder a target for Arsenal and Newcastle

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Newcastle have been busy bolstering their French contingent during the January transfer window and have held a long-standing interest in Thauvin.

The France youth international, who turned 20 on Saturday, has 18 months left on his contract and Bastia say he does not intend to sign an extension.

Geronimi has stated that Newcastle are the only club to have made an offer for Thauvin, but that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been in contact about the player.

"Florian Thauvin has been the object of just one concrete offer so far, from Newcastle, for €3million (£2.6m), but we refused it," Geronimi told France Bleu radio station.

"However, he didn't want to prolong his contract with Bastia, but he will stay until the end of the season."

Regarding Arsenal's interest, Geronimi added: "We have not received any firm offer from Arsenal and, thus, there is no question of the €5m (£4.3m) reported.

"This week I have had Arsene Wenger on the phone twice. He expressed his interest in the player to us, but it has not gone beyond that."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Champions League: John Collins claims Celtic will have to be at best to get past Legia Warsaw

John Collins says Legia Warsaw pose a huge threat to his dream of Champions League football with Celtic this season.

Premier League: Daniel Sturridge confident Liverpool can shine without Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge believes Liverpool have the squad to handle Luis Suarez's exit and will challenge for top honours.

Transfer news: Simon Mignolet backs Liverpool target Divock Origi and welcomes Pepe Reina return

Liverpool are closing in on Divock Origi and the Belgium youngster has been tipped to shine in the Premier League.

Mail Box

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

No Wonder Wenger Doesn't Buy British

That's if reports that Calum Chambers cost Arsenal £16m are to be believed. The English premium shows no signs of disappearing. Plus, worrying about poor Southampton...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property