Everton reject £28m United bid

Everton have described a joint £28m bid from Manchester United for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines as "derisory and insulting".

Last Updated: 21/08/13 at 07:25 Post Comment

Leighton Baines and Maroune Fellaini: United have seen £28m double bid fail

Leighton Baines and Maroune Fellaini: United have seen £28m double bid fail

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

United manager David Moyes is very familiar with England left-back Baines and Belgium midfielder Fellaini from his time at the helm of the Goodison Park side.

And it has long been speculated that he might be keen to take one or both of the duo with him to Old Trafford.

However, Everton are determined to retain two of their most important players and released a club statement which read: "Everton can confirm that it has received bids from Manchester United for two players.

"Those bids were immediately rejected out of hand as derisory and insulting.

"The club did not make public these details as it was vital Roberto Martinez's preparations for the opening game of the Premier League season were not disrupted in any way."

Baines and Fellaini were both in the Everton line-up on Saturday as the Merseyside club began Premier League life under new boss Roberto Martinez with a 2-2 draw at Norwich.

Fellaini was signed by Moyes for Everton in 2008 for £15m, which rose to £17.5m with add-ons.

But it could be argued United are only offering around £16m for the player, considering they have previously had a £12m bid for Baines rejected.

According to reports, Fellaini's contract included a £23.5m release clause, but that expired at the end of July.

Not concerned

Martinez revealed last week: "Marouane had a buy-out clause where it was very straightforward. If someone met that valuation, the club had no say.

"That finished on July 31 so you can imagine during that period everyone was a bit expectant about what would happen. Once that date went, you just focus on working for the next season.

"I'm not concerned at all at the moment (about players leaving).

"The window is open and until it closes you're going to get speculation, you're going to get a lot of talk, not just at Everton. It's the norm."

And the Everton boss also confirmed earlier this month that they had received an offer for Baines, but insisted it fell well below their valuation.

He told the Liverpool Echo: "Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer, and it was a final offer.

"They put something over and the valuation wasn't anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines.

"That was the end of it but since then, there's been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is.

"There's never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then, we've moved on and we're continuing to focus on the start of the season."

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

hen players in their 30s leave Real Madrid, it's usually to Bolton Wanderers. I miss those days.

sailingmagpie
Top Ten CL Players Whetting Our Appetite

W

ow Pete, you would make an excellent stalker!

fouloleron
Taking A Close Look At Mario...

T

his specializing in mediocrity will only stop when Wenger and his entire back room staff are cleared out. Dortmund are everything Arsenal should be; in fact they're everything Arsenal thought they were, until they met this supreme doppelg nger.

dr soccer
The Bitter Taste Of Arsenal Déjà Vu

Footer 365

Kagawa: My heart stayed in Dortmund

Shinji Kagawa admits life at Manchester United was "particularly difficult", but the playmaker says his heart was always at Borussia Dortmund.

Championship: Alex Tettey has signed a new two-year deal with Norwich City

Alex Tettey has signed a new two-year deal with Norwich City, with the option to extend for a further year.

Champions League: Jack Wilshere believes Arsenal will bounce back from Dortmund defeat

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere believes Arsene Wenger's men will bounce back from the 2-0 defeat to Borussia Dortmund.

Mail Box

I've Given It Some Thought: He's Got To Go

There is some more considered reaction to Arsenal and Liverpool's results, plus a big get well soon message for Jonas Gutierrez. And an apology to Merse...

B**locks To That, I'm Going To Sit In The Shed

Arsenal supporters given their understandable reaction to the debacle in Dortmund, whilst Liverpool fans weren't too impressed either. Still, at least they won...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property