Mourinho blames Vertonghen

Jose Mourinho believes Jan Vertonghen was to blame for Fernando Torres getting sent off during Chelsea's 1-1 draw at Tottenham Hotspur.

Last Updated: 29/09/13 at 11:34 Post Comment

Fernando Torres: Sent off at Tottenham

Fernando Torres: Sent off at Tottenham

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Torres was dismissed in the 81st minute and the Blues were left to hang on for a draw after John Terry cancelled out Gylfi Sigurdsson's opener for Spurs.

Mourinho felt the momentum had been with Chelsea before referee Mike Dean's decision to give the Spaniard a second yellow card following an innocuous aerial collision with Vertonghen.

Mourinho was unhappy with Vertonghen's reaction and also pointed to the Spurs defender's tug on Nicklas Helenius' shorts in the Capital One Cup match against Aston Villa in midweek, which went unpunished and meant he was available to face Chelsea.

"Football is football and things happen which we don't know why. At that time we were much better and stronger, they were in trouble," said Mourinho.

"When I arrived here in 2004 I had players arriving from other countries and I had to educate them because England is England and other countries are other countries. In other countries people say the guy is clever and the guy is intelligent because he pretends it's a penalty or a red card. Not in England, that's not what I learned here.

"That's why I don't think the referee is guilty, he made the wrong decision but he trusts the player. When you see the player with his hand on his face and pretending it was a violent action the natural tendency is to follow and make the decision.

"It was a situation where the player wasn't helping the referee. He's a fantastic player but he's a special guy because three days ago he left the player naked against Aston Villa. It wasn't a penalty or a red card and he shouldn't have played today, he should have been suspended from a red card against Villa. Today he changed the game, I'm not happy."

Mourinho is confident that Chelsea will be able to sustain a title challenge and refused to be too downbeat about getting a point from such a difficult away game, while he was full of praise for his side's performance in the second half.

He said: "In the second half we played very well. We played with very good spirit, a strong mentality, we were strong tactically and the second half was very good.

"When you get a draw at the home of a title contender it's never a bad result. When you get to the end of the season, March, April, May and June you will see if you get a lot of points at home and win some matches away, and don't lose against your direct opponents for the title, we will be there.

"I'm not saying we are going to win but we will be there. We won't be like two seasons ago, 20 points behind, or like last season, 15 points behind, we will be there.

"If you told me before the match I would get a point at Tottenham I would say not bad. If you said at half-time we would get a point I would say okay, but the way we played in the second half we should have won the game."

Mourinho also gave his backing to Juan Mata, who started on the substitutes' bench but helped inspire Chelsea's strong response after coming on in the second half, and he will now keep his place for the UEFA Champions League clash on Tuesday.

He said: "I think this is the way players have to say I want to play. Blah blah blah is not good, conversations with the press aren't good, what's good is the effort he made against Swindon, it's the way he changed the team in the second half and because of that I'm very happy and I can say with 72 hours in advance, he plays in Steaua Bucharest, he earned that himself."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Yaya Toure happy to stay at Manchester City

Yaya Toure has reaffirmed his commitment to Manchester City, insisting he wants to stay for "as long as possible".

Champions League: Henning Berg hopeful of Legia Warsaw's chances against Celtic

Legia Warsaw boss Henning Berg hopes his side can get a positive result against Celtic in their Champions League tie.

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property