Johnson boost as Remy fails

Norwich midfielder Bradley Johnson has won his appeal against his red card in Tuesday's draw against Newcastle, but Loic Remy's claim of wrongful dismissal has been rejected.

Last Updated: 03/02/14 at 15:37 Post Comment

Loic Remy and Bradley Johnson were sent off for this off-the-ball incident on Tu

Loic Remy and Bradley Johnson were sent off for this off-the-ball incident on Tu

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

The pair were both shown straight red cards in the 82nd minute of the Carrow Road stalemate for an off-the-ball clash.

Referee Chris Foy sent the pair off after they shoved each other and went head-to-head, and both clubs appealed the decision.

Johnson's appeal was upheld, meaning he is free to play against Cardiff City on Saturday, but Remy's claim was dismissed and he must serve a three-match ban that begins with Saturday's Tyne-Wear derby against Sunderland.

An FA statement read: "An Independent Regulatory Commission heard two claims of wrongful dismissal today both in relation to the Norwich City versus Newcastle United game on Tuesday.

"The claim involving Norwich's Bradley Johnson was upheld meaning his three-match suspension is withdrawn.

"The claim involving Newcastle's Loic Remy was dismissed therefore his three-match suspension remains with immediate effect.

"Both players had been dismissed for violent conduct."

After Tuesday's game, Newcastle boss Alan Pardew accused Johnson of making the incident look more serious.

He said: "There is probably just enough for the referee to send them off, but Johnson's reaction to the heads meeting, in terms that he got a head-butt when he did not, was the catalyst for them both to get sent off.

"It was his own fault, if he had not have done that then maybe the referee would have taken a more lenient view, but he made such a drama out of it, he should be ashamed of himself really."

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Footer 365

Jose Mourinho claims Rafael Benitez destroyed his Inter Milan side in six months

Jose Mourinho has fired back at Rafael Benitez’s wife after she said the Chelsea manager left a mess at Real Madrid.

Arsene Wenger responds to Jose Mourinho taunt

Arsene Wenger has brushed off Jose Mourinho's latest taunts after the Chelsea boss said the Gunners' recent spending may come as "a surprise".

WATCH: Eden Hazard's stunning goal against Barcelona

Watch as Chelsea's Eden Hazard evades four challenges before slotting the ball past Marc-André ter Stegen.

Mail Box

Di Maria Just Didn't Fit (S**t Happens)

If a signing doesn't work there doesn't have to be a massive witch hunt. So there. Plus a detailed net spend rant, Breel Embolo, computer games and Louis van Gaal...

The Calculator Is On Wenger's Side...

Over the last five years, Arsenal's net spent is about 55% of Chelsea's, so shush your mouth Jose. Plus, Van Gaal is attacked and defended in equal measure...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company