Further details about proposed work on the Main Stand and Anfield Road were revealed in the Anfield Spatial Regeneration Framework (SRF) published on Thursday.
Liverpool City Council will consider the SRF on February 7 and if the draft is approved a four-week public consultation will take place before it can be officially adopted by the council in April.
All parties can then submit planning applications, although the club have always stressed they have never put a timeline on their proposals for the revamp.
But the document states that proposed developments are expected to be delivered by 2018.
Managing director Ian Ayre said earlier this week their plans were based on "certainties" and although deals have been agreed for 67 of the 71 properties affected by the stadium plans, the remaining houses have yet to be acquired.
The remaining four properties are owned by two owners and negotiations are still ongoing, but the council has already indicated it will pursue compulsory purchase order (CPO) powers where agreements cannot be reached.
Formal approval of the potential use of such powers could come by the end of February but CPOs are regarded as a last resort.
"The publication of the draft SRF document is another important milestone in the regeneration project as we continue this exciting journey to transform the Anfield area," said Ayre in a statement.
"Any final decision regarding a future stadium expansion continues to be based on certainty - certainty that we can obtain the necessary land around the stadium to facilitate any expansion; certainty that there is demand for any future expansion; certainty that we have home owners' support; and certainty that we will be able to navigate the complex planning landscape.
"We regard the progress to date as extremely positive and will continue to be fully supportive of the regeneration project with Liverpool City Council and Your Housing Group."