Fans urge Allam to ditch plan

Hull fans have urged owner Assem Allam to forget about his plan to change the club's name and repair his relationship with supporters.

Last Updated: 19/03/14 at 07:33 Post Comment

Hull City fans: Urged owner Assem Allam to drop his plan to change the club'

Hull City fans: Urged owner Assem Allam to drop his plan to change the club'

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

City confirmed on Tuesday that they will poll season ticket holders over the proposal to re-brand the club as "Hull Tigers", and accused the Football Association of being prejudiced after learning that its membership committee had recommended the Full Council to reject Allam's proposal at its meeting on April 9.

The City Till We Die campaign group is confident any poll will result in a "no" vote, and hope that will be the end of the matter despite the owner's stated intention to walk away if he does not get the answer he wants from the FA.

Spokesperson Mark Gretton said: "We have said from the start, this has not been an anti-Allam campaign, and we have taken a lot of care to make sure it hasn't been. We are more than happy to work with them.

"If more revenue is needed at the club - and we recognise absolutely we need to grow the brand, we would be delighted with that.

"In many ways, the Allams have been excellent owners of our club and whatever happens, we have a lot to be thankful to them for.

"When they stepped in, the club was in a parlous position. It's been the issue of the name-change which has caused the problem.

"We have been broadly happy with what's happened under the Allams' ownership of the club and we would like this to be finished. That's why we welcome a season ticket holders' poll.

"If we can get a popular vote against the name change, we are not going to crow about it, we have no need to.

"Hopefully, he would just abandon the plan and we could say, 'Well done for being the bigger man'. We'd be delighted about that and we could start afresh."

The Tigers board released a statement on Tuesday afternoon claiming their application had been pre-judged.

It said: "The club is disappointed with the timing of yesterday's announcement made by The FA.

"We feel we have been prejudiced right from the outset. The FA introduced a new policy to handle our application on the back of consultations with the City Till We Die group, and we therefore feel that our application was already pre-judged.

"This feeling has been reinforced with yesterday's announcement, as the club feels this will further prejudice the forthcoming ballot of season pass holders.

"However, this is now the time for the silent majority to come forward and support the club's aspirations. Details of the ballot will be released to season pass holders within the next 48 hours."

Meanwhile, City striker George Boyd has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association for allegedly spitting at Manchester City keeper Joe Hart.

Boyd has until 6pm on Wednesday to respond to the charge.

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

E

ven if United were to sign CR7 & Messi to play upfront, the fact remains Fletcher and Cleverly are playing in midfield. That's where the problem is. Fletcher is too slow with an awful pass, while Cleverly is simply rubbish

mrunited4life
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

T

hese days, these days, you can't say something racist without somebody saying that you're a racist.

tk421
'Wrong' Views Not Silenced By Shouting...

D

rop Rooney (he's so disappointing, overrated and overpaid), and play Di Maria and RVP upfront, much like the set up at the Netherlands team with Roben and RVP...

eric bush3
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

Footer 365

Transfer news: Tottenham strike deal for Montpellier midfielder Benjamin Stambouli

Tottenham have agreed a fee with Montpellier for defensive midfielder Benjamin Stambouli, according to the French club.

Transfer news: Chelsea confirm agreement with AC Milan for two-year Fernando Torres loan

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres will have a medical at AC Milan on Saturday ahead of an agreed two-year loan deal.

Europa League: Roberto Martinez happy Everton start and finish at home

Roberto Martinez is happy with the way the fixtures have worked out for Everton in their tough Europa League draw.

Mail Box

Surely A Spurs Fan Should Remember...

...what happened to the fourth Champions League place the last time an English team won the thing. Plus, who would want to pay £60 to watch the current England team?

Ginger Pirlo? Don't Make Me Laugh...

A Sunderland fan in the mailbox is surprised by Jack Colback's call up to the England squad. Plus, thoughts on Welbeck and Liverpool's Champions League draw...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property