Duo charged over tweets

The FA has charged Yannick Sagbo and Benoit Assou-Ekotto with improper conduct for social media posts relating to the 'quenelle' gesture - and warned Samir Nasri and Mamadou Sakho over similar incidents.

Last Updated: 01/04/14 at 18:21

Yannick Sagbo: Hull striker charged by FA

Yannick Sagbo: Hull striker charged by FA

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

The salute came to the fore when former West Brom striker Nicolas Anelka made the arm gesture when celebrating a goal against West Ham on December 28.

An independent regulatory commission last month handed down a five-match ban to Anelka after finding it "did contain a reference to anti-Semitism" in that it is strongly associated with his friend, the French comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, who has been convicted seven times of anti-Semitic crimes.

The FA had argued for a more severe sanction and has now confirmed action against four further players.

An FA statement read: "The FA has progressed its investigation into four cases concerning social media postings relating to the quenelle gesture involving Benoit Assou-Ekotto (Tottenham Hotspur on loan at Queens Park Rangers), Yannick Sagbo (Hull City), Samir Nasri (Manchester City) and Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool).

"Having considered the particular facts of each case extremely carefully in consultation with our appointed expert, The FA has today charged Mr Assou-Ekotto and Mr Sagbo with improper conduct contrary to FA Rule E3 in relation to their postings on Twitter.

"Both players have until April 8 2014 to respond to the charges.

"The FA has issued Mr Nasri with a formal warning. Mr Sakho has been reminded of his responsibilities as a participant.

"As the cases involving Mr Assou-Ekotto and Mr Sagbo are ongoing, The FA will make no further comment on any of these four cases at this time."

Assou-Ekotto went on Twitter after Anelka's salute to post what translates from French as "I congratulate you on the beautiful quenelle".

Sagbo also took to the social media network in the aftermath of the incident, posting a picture of Anelka's celebration and a message of support for both the striker and Dieudonne.

The charge of improper conduct, which is classed differently to the Anelka case as it was not on the field, is unlikely to be as severe as the one handed down to Anelka.

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Champions League: John Collins claims Celtic will have to be at best to get past Legia Warsaw

John Collins says Legia Warsaw pose a huge threat to his dream of Champions League football with Celtic this season.

Premier League: Daniel Sturridge confident Liverpool can shine without Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge believes Liverpool have the squad to handle Luis Suarez's exit and will challenge for top honours.

Transfer news: Simon Mignolet backs Liverpool target Divock Origi and welcomes Pepe Reina return

Liverpool are closing in on Divock Origi and the Belgium youngster has been tipped to shine in the Premier League.

Mail Box

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

No Wonder Wenger Doesn't Buy British

That's if reports that Calum Chambers cost Arsenal £16m are to be believed. The English premium shows no signs of disappearing. Plus, worrying about poor Southampton...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property