Koeman: No new bids for Lovren

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman insists they have not received a new bid from Liverpool for defender Dejan Lovren.

Last Updated: 22/07/14 at 12:14 Post Comment

Dejan Lovren: No bids from Liverpool for the defender, says Southampton manager

Dejan Lovren: No bids from Liverpool for the defender, says Southampton manager

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

The Reds are believed to have made an offer for the centre-back earlier this summer, which was rejected by Southampton, who had already seen boss Mauricio Pochettino, Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana depart.

Lovren is believed to want to move to Anfield, and Koemen is reportedly lining up Aston Villa and Netherlands defender Ron Vlaar as a replacement if the Croatian does move on.

Speaking after Southampton’s 1-0 pre-season friendly victory over Swindon on Monday night, Koeman insisted they have had no formal contact from Liverpool in the past week over a possible deal for Lovren.

Asked if there had been a new bid, he told Sky Sports News: “We have had no bid from Liverpool for Lovren, that is the situation.

“If that does not change, he will continue to play at Southampton.

“We know there is a lot of interest in our players, I think that is normal. But we have to wait, we work on the team.”

Koeman managed Vlaar during their time in the Eredivisie with Feyenoord but refused to be drawn on whether he will move to sign the Netherlands international.

“I know him (Vlaar) from when he was playing at Feyenoord,” added Koeman.

“It depends on the (Lovren) situation but we will decide who we bring in. There are a lot of rumours in football and I can do nothing about that.”

Koeman also revealed that striker Dani Osvaldo, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Juventus following a training ground altercation with Jose Fonte, has been given permission to report back late for pre-season training - though his days at St Mary's look to have come to an end, with the club looking to sell.

“He was late, he had a talk with the board and we decided he can stay away,” said Koeman. "We have to look for opportunities for him to play in a different team."

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew braced for protests

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Transfer news: Chelsea's Jose Mourinho plays down Cristiano Ronaldo transfer talk

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has played down speculation about signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Dundee boss Paul Hartley anticipates a good derby with United

Dundee boss Paul Hartley maintains his players have no fears as they prepare for the derby match with Dundee United.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property