St. Mary's Stadium

Next Game

Southampton v QPR

Saturday, 27 September 2014, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Loftus Road Stadium

Last Game

QPR 2 - 2 Stoke

Saturday, 20 September 2014, 12:45

Barclays Prem

Cesar set to leave in January

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes has conceded that Julio Cesar's departure from the club seems inevitable during the January transfer window.

Last Updated: 21/01/14 at 17:34 Post Comment

Julio Cesar: Tony Fernandes admits he is likely to leave QPR

Julio Cesar: Tony Fernandes admits he is likely to leave QPR

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

The 34-year-old goalkeeper has been restricted to just one appearance this season featuring in QPR's 4-0 FA Cup defeat to Everton earlier this month.

And, with a World Cup in his home country of Brazil looming this summer, Fernandes believes the former Inter Milan goalkeeper's future lies away from Loftus Road.

"I think so," Fernandes told Sky Sports News when asked if he thought Cesar was likely to leave the club in January. "It's a waste for someone with such immense talent not playing and I think he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, so I'm sure someone will pick him up and let's see how that goes.

"We've gone with Rob (Green) because at the beginning of the season we thought Julio wouldn't be there. Rob has come in and done a fantastic job and I think he could be pushing for an England place - he's played really well.

"Just look at the last game (a 2-1 home victory over Huddersfield on Saturday). He kept us in the game till we came back and won. He's been superb."

Cagliari have been heavily linked with a move for the veteran stopper after the club's owner Massimo Cellino confirmed a meeting between the pair.

"I spoke to Julio Cesar who is not playing at QPR and wants to go to the World Cup," Cellino told Sardinian newspaper Unione Sarde.

"He told me that he knows the team and would return to Italy."

Cesar himself admits that he would consider a move to Sardinia in order to get more games under his belt.

"Me to Cagliari? Sardinia is well, there's always the sun, I'd like to go there," Cesar told tuttomercatoweb.com.

"Honestly, no offers have come in at the moment."

Fernandes said the club may add to the squad during the January transfer window but insisted the bulk of the transfer activity for the season has been concluded as QPR continue their quest for an instant return to the Premier League.

"We've done a remarkable job of moving on a lot and bringing in a great lot of players the squad is fantastic the spirit is great," he said.

"We would like to strengthen it a little bit here and there but most of the work has been done we wouldn't be second in the league with 52 points if we had lots of problems.

"But we've got to build on that and credit to Harry and the management team for putting in the work and bouncing back when everyone wrote us off and said we were the next club to go into ruin.

"We've come back smiling and looking good so the project is alive and we keep our fingers crossed that we make it to the promised land of the Premier League."

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew braced for protests

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Premier League: Queens Park Rangers draw 2-2 with Stoke at Loftus Road

Niko Kranjcar’s late free-kick secured QPR a 2-2 draw at home to Stoke to spoil Mark Hughes’ return to Loftus Road.

Premier League: Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal wary over a lack of European football

Louis Van Gaal believes a lack of Champions League football this season could damage Manchester United’s title hopes.

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property