AC Milan's World Cup-winning defender Alessandro Nesta has confirmed he will quit the Serie A side at the end of the season.
The 36-year-old has been with the Rossoneri for 10 years but will leave after the final home against Novara on Sunday when his contract expires.
Speculation is rife that the 78-times capped Italy centre-half intends to join MLS side New York Red Bulls but while Nesta said he would like to play in the United States, he refused to confirm a move.
Nesta, who has previously denied he will move to Juventus, said: "This is my last season at Milan.
"I have taken stock, and the rhythm of Serie A, the Champions League and the Italian Cup meant I couldn't play all the time.
"It doesn't suit me to sit on the bench and if I don't feel important I prefer to stay at home."
As regards playing in the United States, he said: "I'd go gladly. It would be a wonderful experience. I'd gladly go across the Atlantic but as long as nothing has been signed I'm saying nothing.
"And there are other great and interesting opportunities like that one."
Nesta started his playing career with Lazio and captained the Rome side to the Serie A title in 2000 before heading for Milan in 2002.
With the Rossoneri he won the Serie A title in 2004 and 2011, two Champions League titles in 2003 and 2007, and the Club World Cup in 2007.
He was also in the side that lost the Champions League final in 2005 to Liverpool despite Milan leading 3-0 at half-time.
But his career has been plagued by injuries since Italy's triumphant 2006 World Cup campaign in Germany.