Berlusconi apologises to Balotelli

AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has apologised for calling Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli "a rotten apple".

Last Updated: 15/01/13 at 07:59 Post Comment

Mario Balotelli: Has been linked with a move

Mario Balotelli: Has been linked with a move

More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has apologised for calling Mario Balotelli "a rotten apple" but stopped short of declaring his interest in the Manchester City striker.

The former Inter Milan player has been linked with a January return to the San Siro after finding his chances limited at the Etihad Stadium, with a number of high-profile incidents heightening speculation he could soon call time on a two-and-a-half-year spell in Manchester.

But Berlusconi appeared to dispel any thoughts of a potential bid for the 22-year-old last week by calling Balotelli "a rotten apple", a phrase he retracted on Monday night.

Speaking to Sky Italia, he said: "What I said was based on the fact that I feel positive people are useful in the changing room.

"I was not referring to Balotelli and I apologise if it is was taken as a slur against him.

"Could he still come to Milan? No one from my club has held any talks with him, and neither (vice-president Adriano) Galliani or I has identified him as a transfer target."

At last week's Ballon d'Or ceremony, Berlusconi had told reporters: "The name of Balotelli never came into my thoughts, he is a rotten apple and could infect every group where he goes, even Milan."

Milan appeared to be freeing up funds in a bid to capture the Italy international, a self-professed Rossoneri fan, by selling Alexandre Pato and Robinho to Corinthians and Santos respectively.

The former completed a 15million euro move but talks over Robinho's return to Brazil fell through, leaving Milan with four senior strikers and insufficient resources to prise Balotelli away from City for a reported asking price of £25million.

The Serie A club could still move for Empoli defender Riccardo Saponara or World Cup winner Cristian Zaccardo of Parma, though.

When asked whether Milan were likely to bolster their squad before the end of the current transfer window, Berlusconi tried hard to keep his own counsel.

"I hope so," he added. "I am pestering Galliani because there are a few players I would like us to sign, ones we could bring in by the end of January.

"I won't name names, I've been told not to. Galliani told me, 'President, don't name names if you want us to succeed'."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


More of the games that matter

2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew - It's mass hysteria

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Transfer news: Chelsea's Jose Mourinho plays down Cristiano Ronaldo transfer talk

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has played down speculation about signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Premier League: Everton striker Samuel Eto'o convinces Roberto Martinez

Everton manager Roberto Martinez believes Samuel Eto'o is ready to be the starting striker.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property