Napoli win appeal over points

Napoli's two-point deduction for alleged involvement in match-fixing has been overturned on appeal.

Last Updated: 17/01/13 at 22:51 Post Comment

Paolo Cannavaro: Six-month ban overturned

Paolo Cannavaro: Six-month ban overturned

World Cup Promotions

Daily World Cup Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has confirmed Napoli have had a two-point deduction for alleged involvement in match-fixing overturned on appeal.

The Serie A club were deducted two points on December 18 for being "objectively responsible" for the actions of former goalkeeper Matteo Gianello, who attempted to fix a match against Sampdoria in 2010.

The FIGC's appeal court has also overturned the six-month bans issued to defenders Paolo Cannavaro and Gianluca Grava for failing to report an approach from Gianello.

The verdict sees Napoli close to within three points of league leaders Juventus as they join Lazio in joint second place with 42 points.

Following the FIGC's announcement, an overwhelmed Cannavaro admitted he had been going through "hell" since the original verdict was released on December 18.

He told sscnapoli.it: "It's an immense feeling of joy and I'm still crying with the emotion. It was a terrible month, hell. Now this is a release.

"I was in a really bad way. I won't be able to forget what I went through this month. I thank all those who were close to me.

"I want to thank the club for all that they did, the coach and my team-mates that have consoled me every day."

Neither Cannavaro - the brother of World Cup winner Fabio - or Grava were able to help Napoli recoup a 10-point deficit on league leaders Juventus, but Walter Mazzarri's team coped well on the pitch over the festive period, closing the gap to five points before this announcement.

Grava was also unable to contain his emotions at a hastily-convened press conference.

"When I heard from Paolo, we both started to cry with joy. It's the end of a nightmare," the 35-year-old said.

"It seemed like a nightmare from which I could not wake up. I'm feeling great joy and I am happy that justice has been done."

Head coach Mazzarri felt the club's staunch opposition of the deduction had finally been vindicated, while paying tribute to his players' strength of character.

He said: "First of all I am very happy for Paolo and Gianluca, two exceptionally honourable lads who were victims of a great injustice.

"I'm happy with the league table. We deserved those points because we earned them on the field. It would have been another great injustice if they had been stolen."

Reports in Italy had suggested Napoli's various punishments would be halved, with the club having to settle for a one-point deduction and the players three-match bans.

But a statement published on the FIGC's official website indicated that the governing body were prepared to exonerate the three parties while slightly reducing the original fine.

It read: "The two penalty points issued to Napoli have been revoked, but the club will pay a fine of 50,000 euros.

"There are acquittals for Paolo Cannavaro and Gianluca Grava, while the disqualification of Matteo Gianello has been reduced from three years and three months to one year and nine months.

"These are the decisions of the Federal Court of Justice following appeals against the judgments made by the Naples branch of the disciplinary committee on match-fixing."

Meanwhile, Lazio and Genoa are still under investigation by prosecutors in Cremona who are examining claims of match-fixing in a Serie A match between the two sides in May 2011.

The wide-sweeping campaign against match-fixing and illegal betting, referred to as 'Calcioscommesse', saw Siena deducted six points this summer.

Former Siena coach Antonio Conte, now in charge of Juventus, was handed a six-month ban for his failure to report attempts to fix matches in Serie B during the 2010-11 season. The ban was subsequently reduced to four months on appeal.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

don't see Neymar or Suarez wanting to play second fiddle to Messi or playing to support Messi in his quest to get the World Player of the Year award back.

chelseablue_no1
Can Suarez Succeed Where Cesc Failed?

A

t this point, buying the whole club for £175 million would probably have been a cheaper option

lee
Liverpool Lovren bid rejected

O

ne obvious name missing.... Dirk Kuyt

redjari
Five Midfield Targets For Manchester United

Footer 365

World Cup: Penalty joy for Argentina as they beat Netherlands to reach final

Argentina overcame Netherlands on penalties after a 0-0 draw to set up a meeting with Germany in the World Cup final.

World Cup: Brazil boss Luiz Felipe Scolari to decide his future after the weekend

Luiz Felipe Scolari will wait until after the World Cup third-fourth place play-off before deciding his future.

Championship: Former Fulham skipper Brede Hangeland criticises Felix Magath

Brede Hangeland does not believe Felix Magath is the right man to lead the club back into the Premier League

Mail Box

Mails: Are Footballers Just Big Kids?

That's what the mailbox thinks, with Brazil's players showing a lack of responsibility in their 7-1 thrashing by Germany. Plus, more on Ozil and the importance of passion...

'Wow' Says The Mailbox In Unison. Wow Indeed.

There is understandably a great deal of reaction to Tuesday night's lunacy, but we have added thoughts on the anti-Ozil 'agenda' and Liverpool acting like they're big-time...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property