Acerbi reveals op fear

Sassuolo defender Francesco Acerbi has spoken of the fear he felt before undergoing surgery to remove a tumour last week.

Last Updated: 22/07/13 at 12:32 Post Comment

Francesco Acerbi: Hopes to be back playing again 'soon'

Francesco Acerbi: Hopes to be back playing again 'soon'

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

The Serie A club confirmed on Saturday night that Acerbi, 25, had had an abnormal growth removed in a Milan hospital - a growth the player later revealed had been on a testicle.

After thanking fans and well-wishers for their messages of support, the former AC Milan and Chievo centre-half described the process of discovering he had a problem and how his new club helped him receive immediate treatment.

Last night, he wrote on his Twitter account: "Thanks to everybody who has written to me and to those who didn't but were thinking about me.

"I'll be back on the pitch soon and I'll be stronger than before."

And speaking to the Gazzetta dello Sport today, he added: "They were terrible moments. My first reaction was to shut myself away - I took my bike out and went for a long ride to take my mind off it.

"But thankfully I reacted well. I rang my girlfriend Valeria and my agent Andrea Cattoli. I shared my fears with them and the next day they accompanied me while I had an ultrasound in Milan.

"Their proximity to me was essential at that time, and thanks to the intervention of president (Giorgio) Squinzi everything was organised in a very short time.

"I had surgery around noon on Wednesday and I was discharged within 36 hours."

Newly-promoted Sassuolo - for whom Acerbi signed from Genoa earlier this month - have not yet put a time frame on the player's return to action as he recuperates at home.

"When you walk into the hospital you realise what's going to happen to you," he added. "The kindness of the doctors does not mask the suffering of those around you and your fears are magnified.

"The removal of a testicle involves quite a lot of pain post-operation - it's been no walk in the park.

"The pain is beginning to subside. I can walk okay and I've been out with Valeria to take my mind off it.

"And I've now told my mother Silvia. After I lost my father in March 2012 I didn't want to worry her before the surgery. Speaking out now is better for everyone."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Yaya Toure happy to stay at Manchester City

Yaya Toure has reaffirmed his commitment to Manchester City, insisting he wants to stay for "as long as possible".

Champions League: Henning Berg hopeful of Legia Warsaw's chances against Celtic

Legia Warsaw boss Henning Berg hopes his side can get a positive result against Celtic in their Champions League tie.

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property