Mauri handed six-month ban

Lazio captain Stefano Mauri has been banned for six months for alleged involvement in match-fixing.

Last Updated: 02/08/13 at 14:50 Post Comment

Stefano Mauri: Banned for six months

Stefano Mauri: Banned for six months

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Lazio captain Stefano Mauri will try to clear his name through the appeal courts after being handed a six-month ban for alleged involvement in match-fixing.

The punishment has been handed down by the disciplinary commission of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) after the organisation's prosecutor had initially recommended a 54-month sanction for the player's alleged failure to report his knowledge of match-fixing.

The accusations related to Lazio's league games against Genoa and Lecce in May 2011, but five men including Mauri were today cleared of wrongdoing in relation to the Genoa fixture.

Prosecutor Stefano Palazzi also requested a six-point deduction for the Rome club, but that was dismissed in favour of a 40,000 euro fine. Lecce were fined 20,000 euros while Genoa were cleared.

The new Serie A season starts on the weekend of August 24 and Mauri is now determined to successfully appeal his ban and return to action for Lazio "as soon as possible".

He told his official website, www.smauri.it: "I'm happy that Lazio don't have to start with a points deduction, but this punishment for failing to report seems like an injustice to me.

"I will put my trust in the next steps of the justice system to put this ugly experience behind me.

"Even in this situation I will fight like a captain... my plan is to be back on the pitch with my team-mates as soon as possible.

"Thanks to all the fans who, every day, have shown me their affection and encourage me in an incredible way."

Mauri, now 33, played as Lazio beat Genoa 4-2 in Rome on May 14, 2011 and eight days later the midfielder featured in a victory by the same scoreline at Lecce.

The three clubs were subject to disciplinary action for their objective liability in the alleged actions of eight players: Mauri, Massimiliano Benassi, Mario Cassano, Stefano Ferrario, Carlo Gervasoni, Omar Milanetto, Antonio Rosati and Alessandro Zamperini.

Zamperini, who was already serving a five-year ban, was today banned for a further two years but cleared in connection to the Genoa game together with Benassi, Milanetto and Rosati, but Ferrario was banned for six months and Cassano four months.

Mauri's lawyer Amilcare Buceti told the Gazzetta dello Sport: "We have witnessed a decision which still leaves us feeling bitter because the penalty was imposed due to circumstantial evidence. It is not supported by any objective source of evidence.

"It remains an incomprehensible error of judgement from the disciplinary commission since there is no evidence in the slightest of Stefano Mauri's connection to the allegations."

The news follows last month's issuing of a 43-month ban to Torino goalkeeper Jean-Francois Gillet for his alleged involvement in match-fixing at former club Bari. The Belgian subsequently failed to have his FIGC sentence reduced on appeal.

Bari submitted a plea bargain to receive a fine and a one-point penalty for the forthcoming Serie B season.

Serie A clubs Sampdoria, Atalanta, Torino and Siena all started the 2012-13 season with points deductions for their alleged involvement in match-fixing while Juventus coach Antonio Conte served a four-month ban for allegedly failing to report knowledge of fixing during his time at Siena.

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

t's a bloody good goal, though. Sh!t, the kid's gonna be the worlds best before we know it, isn't he? He's got the touch of genius in him. Like Neymar, but with muscles and stuff. He's doing a Ronaldo as we watch. He's bulked up to be able to ride the tackles, but he's improved technically as well. His touch is sublime. Bugger.

HarryBoulton
WATCH: Hazard's stunning goal

A

hhh, Jose arguing with another managers wife, clearest sign yet that we are going mental during the close season. I am rocking back and forth on my haunches.

hump3.
Jose hits back at Rafa's wife

I

t's only a matter of time before one of them throws in a yo mamma

lee
Jose hits back at Rafa's wife

Footer 365

Chelsea fail with £25m bid for Everton's John Stones

Everton have rejected an improved bid of £25m from Chelsea for centre-half John Stones, according to Sky sources.

Jose: 'Cabaye move makes PL harder'

Jose Mourinho claims the transfer of players like Yohan Cabaye to mid-table clubs makes the PL "very, very hard" to win.

Real reopen talks over £28m De Gea deal

Real Madrid have reportedly reopened negotiations with Manchester United over David de Gea and may complete a deal in the coming days.

Mail Box

Mails: This Is My Perfect Moment

Lots of Mailboxers channel their inner Martine McCutcheon to bring you their perfect footballing moments. Plus thoughts on Blatter, names, and Chelsea worries...

Mails: Let's Talk About Jose's Failures...

We don't talk about them because Chelsea won the title...but imagine if LVG or Brendan Rodgers had signed Juan Cuadrado. Plus, a trawl through the squads...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company