Acerbi denies taking drugs

Sassuolo defender Francesco Acerbi has denied he is guilty of doping.

Last Updated: 18/12/13 at 14:47 Post Comment

Francesco Acerbi: Has denied any taking of drugs

Francesco Acerbi: Has denied any taking of drugs

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Sassuolo defender Francesco Acerbi has denied he is guilty of doping and demanded the Italian media grant him respect after confirmation he has failed a drug test.

Acerbi was provisionally suspended last week by an Italian anti-doping agency after he failed a test for high levels of the human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) following his team's Serie A victory against Cagliari on December 1.

The 25-year-old Acerbi, who underwent an operation for testicular cancer in July, told Italian TV Italia Uno: "I have never taken any illegal substance and it's painful to be accused of that.

"I understand that the press has a job to do but these accusations have been very annoying, not so much for me but for my loved ones."

Sassuolo confirmed Acerbi was not undergoing any treatment and, therefore, had not requested any special dispensation for the former AC Milan and Chievo player.

High levels of HCG can be produced by a cancerous tumour.

"The high level hormone can be a consequence of many things," Acerbi said. "I will have some tests done.

"My main concern right now is my health.

"You cannot point the finger at someone without knowing the situation. I demand respect for my health and for my family.

"I've had doping tests done before the game against Cagliari and had I taken something, I would have already tested positive before that.

"Those that have branded me as a cheat have disgraced me, my club and my doctors."


New Sky Bet customers: Free £30 matched bet


More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

A

pparently Chiles has blamed Twitter trolls for his exit. Proof that even the worst things can get great results at times.

cheshire-gooner
Adrian Chiles to leave ITV

Footer 365

Capital One Cup semi-final second leg team news: Chelsea v Liverpool preview

Team news for Tuesday's Capital One Cup semi-final second leg between Chelsea and Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.

Sky Bet League One: Leyton Orient part company with sporting director Mauro Milanese

League One club Leyton Orient have parted company with sporting director Mauro Milanese, according to Sky sources.

Fabian Delph: Aston Villa teammates shocked by deal

Fabian Delph has admitted his Aston Villa team-mates were shocked to hear he had signed a new deal.

Mail Box

You're Man Utd, For Crying Out Loud!

Defending a 0-0 draw with Cambridge on the grounds that other teams lost to lower-league opposition is not befitting of Man United. We're inclined to agree with Mailboxers...

A Massive Mailbox On A Weekend Of Wonder

We unsurprisingly have plenty of mails on a wonderful FA Cup weekend, including thoughts on Palace, Van Gaal, Phil Jones, Chelsea, Mourinho and Yaya Toure...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company