Callejon claims Atletico offer

Jose Callejon claims Atletico Madrid tried to take him back to Spain but saw a big-money offer rejected by Napoli.

Last Updated: 21/07/14 at 10:14 Post Comment

Jose Callejon: Being linked with Atletico Madrid and Chelsea

Jose Callejon: Being linked with Atletico Madrid and Chelsea

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

The 27-year-old, who has taken in two spells at Real Madrid either side of a three-year stint at Espanyol, has spent just one season in Italy.

It has been a productive 12 months for the winger, though, as he scored 20 goals in all competitions for Napoli in the 2013/14 campaign.

Interest in his services has been building steadily, with La Liga champions Atletico reportedly joined by Premier League heavyweights Chelsea in the chase for his signature.

Callejon is aware of the speculation regarding his future, and the bids being tabled, but claims to be settled in Naples and in no rush to take on a new challenge.

On the Atletico approach, Callejon told Gazzetta dello Sport: “My agent told me about it.

“Napoli declared me not for sale. That pleased me because I’m happy in this jersey and have another four years on my contract.

“I feel good here. With (Rafa) Benitez I have freedom and I don’t want to give that up.”

Callejon added to E’Azzurro on the Chelsea rumours: “I have heard lots of talk about me. I know that (Jose) Mourinho is interested in me.

“Last year I made a choice and I don’t regret it. I am happy in this team and in this city and I will be staying at Napoli.”

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

S

hould have stayed because we carried him for 6.5 years. And then he has a breakthrough season, and was gone soon after. MU fans, you would be as disgusted had C Ronaldo left in 2007 and not 2009.

godof86
Is Van Persie Slipping Sadly Into The Night?

G

ood grief. Someone guessed that the form English player at the moment might be in his national side with some other players? And that's espionage? Now if they discovered that Emile Heskey was going to be in the starting line up.... at right back.... THAT would be espionage. Give it a rest Roy.

RogerRedHat
Hodgson hits out at Kane leak

H

e may get away with if Liverpool can swap the video with one of Skrtel dancing or something, but if they review the one shown on TV he's screwed.

hump3.
Skrtel denies violent conduct

Footer 365

Wayne Rooney cannot wait to link up with Harry Kane for England

Wayne Rooney has been gripped by the excitement surrounding Harry Kane and can't wait to link up with him against Italy.

Tottenham striker Harry Kane to make first England start in Italy

Harry Kane will make his first start for England in Tuesday night's friendly in Italy, Roy Hodgson has confirmed.

Southampton striker Graziano Pelle starts for Italy against England in Turin

Southampton striker Graziano Pelle has been handed a start for Italy in their friendly against England in Turin.

Mail Box

It's All Just A Ruse By The 'Southern Press'...

A varied Tuesday morning Mailbox, with thoughts on the England U21s, a Sterling ruse, Kane realism, Wenger coaching youth and enjoying the charity match...

Can Wenger Coach Young Players Anymore?

One Mailboxer wonders whether Wenger has still got ability to bring through young talent. Plus £50m for Sterling, stop being matey with footballers and Blackpool...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company