AVB willing to let Dawson go

Andre Villas-Boas says he has enough cover to allow Michael Dawson to go - and insists he isn't in for a striker.

Last Updated: 23/08/12 at 16:48 Post Comment   

Latest Articles

Gundogan extends Dortmund stay

Post comment

Ilkay Gundogan has commited his future to Borussia Dortmund by signing a new contract.

Ipswich braced for Cresswell bids

Post comment

Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy is preparing himself for some interest in Aaron Cresswell during the transfer window.

All Articles

Michael Dawson: Set for talks with QPR

Michael Dawson: Set for talks with QPR

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas insists he has enough defensive cover to allow Michael Dawson to speak to Queens Park Rangers over a potential move.

Spurs have accepted a bid reported to be in excess of £9million for the 28-year-old defender, who joined from Nottingham Forest in 2005.

Dawson, who is set to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms at the west London club, was left out of the Spurs squad for Saturday's defeat to Newcastle.

Villas-Boas said: "His human qualities are highly appreciated by us and the football club.

"His skills as a footballer are second to none so we appreciate them as well.

"If we end up with a scenario with five central defenders there is more competition and there might be less opportunities.

"That's why we are willing to consider different options and we have allowed the player to speak to QPR."

Villas-Boas, meanwhile, has ruled out the possibility of signing another striker despite being strongly linked with Brazil forward Leandro Damiao.

Villas-Boas completed the much-needed capture of Emmanuel Adebayor this week and was expected to bolster his forward line further with a fresh bid for Internacional striker Damiao.

The 23-year-old, who Spurs have been tracking for over a year, is open to a move to the Barclays Premier League, but Villas-Boas now appears settled with his options up front.

Jermain Defoe has been linked with a move to QPR, but Villas-Boas will not let the England striker leave White Hart Lane and is also wedded to the idea of using 19-year-old academy product Harry Kane as his third choice striker.

When asked whether he would sign another striker, Villas-Boas said: "I don't think so. With Adebayor, Defoe and Kane coming through, I think I have enough options.

"Damiao is obviously a fantastic player but he is not our prospect at the moment because we are closed with what we are trying to do on the striker situation."

Defoe scored in Tottenham's season-opening defeat at Newcastle last week, but has hinted that he would be willing to leave White Hart Lane should he not get regular first-team football this season.

The 29-year-old, who has also been linked with Aston Villa and Sunderland, looks set to remain at the north London club, however.

"I spoke to his agent two days ago and conversations have been extremely productive," Villas-Boas added.

"Jermain is a player I have immense confidence in. I appreciate his qualities so I am hoping that he will continue to be a Tottenham player."

Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Luton Town promoted to Football League after winning Conference Premier title

Luton Town have won promotion from the Conference Premier - ending a five-year absence from the Football League.

Premier League: West Ham boss Sam Allardyce frustrated to lose lead at Arsenal

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce admitted his frustration at his side's inability to hold their lead in the loss at Arsenal.

Premier League: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger hails importance of West Ham win

Arsene Wenger hailed the importance of Arsenal's victory over West Ham as his side came from behind to win 3-1.

Mail Box

Worried Liverpool Will Become A Selling Club

Liverpool fans in the mailbox are not too worried about sour grapes from United supporters, but one admits he's scared the Reds could end up selling their best players...

United Should Have Gone For Bruce And Hughes

A mailbox asking why United did not go for two old boys over Moyes, what Wenger's targets were for the season and whether he's had a better season than Pellegrini..?

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property