Beckham camp deny Australia link

David Beckham's representatives insist the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder has "absolutely no plans to play in Australia".

Last Updated: 16/11/12 at 17:38 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Hatem Ben Arfa banned from playing for Nice due to Newcastle and Hull appearances

Post comment

Former Hull and Newcastle forward Hatem Ben Arfa will not be able to play for Nice this season under FIFA rules.

Transfer news: Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon in loan deal talks with Hull City

Post comment

Hull are in talks to sign Aaron Lennon on loan from Tottenham for the rest of the season, Sky sources understand.

All Articles

David Beckham will not follow Emile Heskey and Alessandro Del Piero and play in Australia, his representatives have insisted.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) claimed on Friday it had been approached by the Beckham camp with a view to the player spending a short stint in the A-League.

That was branded "rubbish" by Beckham's spokesman who said no representative of the player had had any talks at all about the former England midfielder playing Down Under.

He suggested FFA may have been taken in by an unconnected agent attempting to act as a middle man and set up a deal, or a publicity stunt to boost the A-League's profile.

Beckham's spokesman said: "There is always enormous interest from clubs across the world in signing David as a player.

"There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia, David is completely focused on the MLS play offs and winning another Championship with the Galaxy."

Beckham signed a new two-year contract with the Galaxy in January but has previously had two loan spells with AC Milan in Major League Soccer off-seasons.

The FFA released a statement early on Friday morning in which it said it Beckham's camp had been in preliminary talks with A-League clubs.

The statement read: "The approach from David Beckham's people is another sign of how much the Hyundai A-League has grown in stature on a global basis.

"Beckham is a superstar on the world stage and he would be another massive signing for the Hyundai A-League after the arrivals of Alessandro Del PieroEmile Heskey and Shinji Ono.

"But this approach remains at a very preliminary stage."

FFA chief executive David Gallop also told reporters in Australia: "It's wonderful that David Beckham is thinking about the A-League as a potential destination.

"Beckham is a superstar on the world stage and Australian audiences have loved his visits here with the LA Galaxy.

"There are many hoops to jump through and I must stress this approach remains at a very preliminary stage."

Perth Glory have already stated an interest in Beckham and Lyall Gormal, executive chairman of new A-League franchise Western Sydney Wanderers, said the former Manchester United and Real Madrid would have obvious commercial appeal.

He told Sky Sports News: "We haven't had formal or informal contact over this, but clearly we are aware of the iconic vale of David Beckham.

"Beckham is outstanding. We've seen him here before on a couple of occasions. There was an 80,000 sell-out at the Olympic Stadium and he was here with the Galaxy the year before last for a game against the Newcastle Jets.

"He would be a fantastic commodity to bring to Australia."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Mark Hughes talking about new contract with Stoke City

Mark Hughes has revealed preliminary talks over him extending his stay as Stoke City manager are underway.

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he made a mistake against Cordoba, says Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti

Cristiano Ronaldo knows he made a mistake against Cordoba and accepts his two-game ban, according to Carlo Ancelotti.

David Ginola no longer challenger to Sepp Blatter for FIFA presidency

David Ginola has confirmed his withdrawal as a candidate to take on Sepp Blatter for the position of FIFA president.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company