Beckham quiet over next move

David Beckham was giving no clues to his next move as he prepared to play his last game for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Last Updated: 21/11/12 at 07:02 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Leigh Griffiths Hibernian loan move played down

Post comment

Hibs manager Alan Stubbs has played down the chances of Leigh Griffiths making an emergency loan move from Celtic.

Transfer news: Florian Thauvin happy at Marseille after Inter Milan interest

Post comment

Marseille's Florian Thuavin has revealed that Inter Milan were interested in him but says he never considered a move.

All Articles

David Beckham: 'What's next? I h

David Beckham: 'What's next? I h

The 37-year-old revealed on Tuesday that the MLS Cup against the Houston Dynamo on December 1 would be his swansong as he sought one last - as yet unnamed - challenge in his playing career.

And 24 hours on, with Paris St Germain the apparent front runners, he was still giving nothing more away.

In an interview on the Galaxy's YouTube channel, he said: "What's next? I haven't decided yet.

"I'd been thinking about this for a few months and I came to the decision a couple of weeks ago. We were just about to head into the play-offs so I felt it wasn't the right time to announce it.

"Now we're through the play-offs and in the MLS Cup final which is going to be in our stadium and in front of our fans I felt it was the right time to do so."

PSG, bankrolled by Qatar, made an offer to the player a year ago and the presence of head coach Carlo Ancelotti and sporting director Leonardo, both of whom Beckham knows from his spells at AC Milan, could prove the clincher.

It is understood the French club remain a strong option but there has been interest from all around the world, including wealthy clubs in China, Russia and even Brazil.

Beckham's representatives have dismissed claims from Australian clubs however that they are in talks about a move to the A-League. It is understood that such a move, or to New York Red Bulls, remain the least likely options, while chances of a return to the Premier League in England also appear slim.

Although Beckham had an option on his contract, signed in January, for a seventh year with the Galaxy, his decision to leave is no great surprise.

He said: "I signed a two-year extension last year with an option in between and I just felt it was the right time to step down as a player here.

"I've had an amazing six years, an amazing successful six years.

"To have been able to play in three finals - two at the moment but three in 10 days - and to have won a championship last year was a dream come true.

"Hopefully to win a championship this year and go out with a real successful story for me that was one of the reasons why I wanted to make this."

Beckham's stint in Los Angeles brought success in the form of the Galaxy's third MLS Cup crown last year.

But he also faced repeated criticism from some Galaxy fans, particularly early on in his stay, for a perceived lack of commitment to the cause, not helped by two loan stints at AC Milan as he attempted to keep his place in the England team.

Two low points arrived back in 2009 when Beckham confronted a fan during a match after his every touch was booed and attracted criticism from team-mate Landon Donovan.

Since then he has won over many supporters, and his effect on the game throughout the country has undoubtedly been a positive one, with popularity increasing in line with one of the stated aims of his move six years ago.

Beckham added: "I might be stopping here as a player but my commitment to the MLS and commitment to the Galaxy won't change.

"I still want to grow the sport in this country, I still want to see the excitement that's gone on in the last six years. I've been very proud to have been part of the growth of that."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

No concerns over Steven Gerrard, says Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers

Brendan Rodgers remains confident that Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard will continue to deliver at the highest level.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger hails strength of Abou Diaby ahead of return

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hailed the strength of character in Abou Diaby following his latest injury comeback.

Premier League: Brendan Rodgers says Mario Balotelli is a 'good guy'

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says he is enjoying working with Mario Balotelli.

Mail Box

Will Rodgers Finally Drop Gerrard?

The mailbox wants to know if Brendan Rodgers has the stones to drop Steven Gerrard. Plus, thoughts on Wayne Rooney's display, sitting down, and thanking United fans...

Clattenburg And Assistants Should Be Suspended

It's a Mailbox containing Manchester United fans taking defeat to Leicester pretty well, plus some long thoughts on Gerrard and Liverpool, plus Southampton congratulations...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property