Di Matteo braced for Chelsea exit?

Roberto Di Matteo is Sky Bet's 2/5 favourite to be the next Premier League boss to go amid reports he is braced for the sack.

Last Updated: 21/11/12 at 08:38 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Hartlepool will not sign convicted rapist Ched Evans, chairman Peter Harris confirms

Post comment

Hartlepool have announced they will not sign convicted rapist Ched Evans after boss Ronnie Moore expressed an interest.

Transfer news: Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal are prepared to spend in January

2 comments

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists he will only spend money in January on the right player.

All Articles

Sky Bet make Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo the 2/5 favourite to be the next Premier League manager to leave his job amid reports he is bracing himself for the axe.

The man who masterminded the greatest climax to a season in the Blues' history could find himself their latest dead man walking if they become the first holders to crash out of the Champions League before Christmas.

Tuesday night's 3-0 loss to Juventus - their heaviest ever in a group match - put them on the brink of doing just that, with Chelsea relying on a Shakhtar Donetsk side who have already qualified beating Juve to let them off the hook.

They must also win their own final Group E game against Nordsjaelland.

And while Di Matteo publicly vowed to "keep working" after the game, there are widespread reports he will be sacked by Roman Abramovich with Pep Guardiola, Rafael Benitez and Avram Grant being linked with the post.

Asked if he was confident he would still be in charge for the final group game and beyond, the Italian said: "At the moment, I think, with the team we are all in it together.

"At the moment, I am here and I think I will be for the future. It's probably not a question you should ask me but, as far as I'm concerned, I'll keep working."

Asked if sacking him would be fair considering everything he achieved last season, he added: "I'm the wrong person to answer that question."

Di Matteo risked Abramovich's wrath by dropping Fernando Torres in Turin and radically overhauling his tactics - and he took full responsibility afterwards.

He said: "I'm responsible for the result. I'm responsible for the performance. It's a negative evening for us.

"If anyone has to take the blame, it's me. I selected a team I was convinced was the right team to win against Juventus, or get at least a draw, so the blame belongs to me."

He added: "I'm responsible for positive and negative results. This is what I do."

Di Matteo took more than an hour to emerge for his post-match press conference but he said that was not because he had been grilled by senior club executives.

He defended his selection decisions but was left clutching at straws when assessing Chelsea's prospects of qualifying.

He said: "Well, mathematically, it's still possible. While there's hope you still try.

"Who says that Juventus aren't going to lose at Shakhtar? We just have to make we do our job at our end, win the last group game.

"With 10 points, normally...usually, it's enough. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it is."

Juventus assistant manager Angelo Alessio rubbished suggestions the Italian champions would not play competitively at Shakhtar in a game neither side need to win.

He said: "We're not used to going out trying to gain a draw. We will go there wanting to win."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Premier League: Martin Skrtel's late header earns Liverpool 2-2 draw with Arsenal

A 97th-minute bullet header from defender Martin Skrtel earned Liverpool a 2-2 draw with Arsenal at Anfield on Sunday.

Transfer news: Labour MP Iain Wright warns Hartlepool against signing Ched Evans

Labour MP Iain Wright has told Hartlepool to "think again" over their interest in signing convicted rapist Ched Evans.

Premier League: Neil Warnock blasts officials after Crystal Palace's 3-0 defeat at Man City

Neil Warnock said the decision to disallow a Crystal Palace goal in the 3-0 defeat to Manchester City was "disgraceful".

Mail Box

More Players In The Wrong Bloody Shirt

Plus Cristiano Ronaldo, who looks 'heart-breakingly well-suited to a Real Madrid shirt' according to one United fan. Plus, words from the good doctor and plenty more...

Players Plainly Wearing The Wrong Strip...

There are some players who just look plain daft in whatever shirt they're wearing. Like Cesc and Robin. It's a cracking mailbox with a load of different themes...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property