I needed a break - Redknapp

Harry Redknapp admits he needed a break from football after capping the craziest year of his life by taking the QPR job.

Last Updated: 27/11/12 at 06:43 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Nottingham Forest will not loan out Dexter Blackstock

Post comment

Nottingham Forest boss Stuart Pearce has no intention of sending fit-again striker Dexter Blackstock out on loan.

Transfer news: Bryan Ruiz offered clean slate at Fulham

Post comment

Bryan Ruiz found himself frozen out at Fulham under Felix Magath, but will be offered a clean slate by Kit Symons.

All Articles

Redknapp returned from his five-and-a-half month exile on Monday charged with masterminding another great escape from relegation, with QPR taking just four points from 13 games ahead of tonight's trip to Sunderland.

Succeeding in what he admitted was the "toughest" assignment of his managerial career should be child's play compared to the stress of beating charges of a far more serious nature back in February.

Then, Redknapp was fighting for his very freedom in a tax evasion trial which ultimately saw him cleared.

The footballing disappointments which followed - being snubbed for the England job and sacked by Tottenham - simply compounded what had been an emotionally exhausting first half of 2012 for the 65-year-old.

Asked if it had been the craziest year of his life, he said: "Yeah, oh yeah. Certainly. The whole thing was a bit bizarre, wasn't it?

"I probably needed a break. Maybe it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened to me."

Neither was losing out to Roy Hodgson for the England job or being sacked by Spurs, according to Redknapp.

"I didn't go home that night when I heard on the radio that Roy had been given the England job and lock myself up in a room," he said.

"I didn't go away from Tottenham that night when Daniel Levy sacked me and want to jump off the edge of Bournemouth Pier. The next day I am up playing golf. I mean, what can I do? That is the way that I am."

Redknapp claims he did not attend a Barclays Premier League game this season for fear of his presence being misinterpreted as a sign one of the managers involved was set for the chop.

Instead, he watched a lot of football on television and at his beloved Bournemouth, where he took on an advisory role in September.

He also spent time in the local community, which includes Victoria Education Centre and Sports College, a haven of high-quality care for disabled youngsters.

"You want to go up to see all these kids at Victoria school," he said. "That is life. This is only football. It is only a game."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Transfer news: Chelsea's Jose Mourinho plays down Cristiano Ronaldo transfer talk

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has played down speculation about signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Dundee boss Paul Hartley anticipates a good derby with United

Dundee boss Paul Hartley maintains his players have no fears as they prepare for the derby match with Dundee United.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property