Llorente confirms exit plans

Fernando Llorente has confirmed he will leave Athletic Bilbao when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Last Updated: 04/12/12 at 16:06 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Bayern Munich's Jerome Boateng rejected Barcelona offer before this season

Post comment

Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng turned down an offer to join Barcelona before the start of the current season.

Birmingham recall young midfielder Charlee Adams from Lincoln

Post comment

Birmingham have recalled young midfielder Charlee Adams from his loan spell with Vanarama Conference side Lincoln.

All Articles

Fernando Llorente: Will leave Bilbao

Fernando Llorente: Will leave Bilbao

The Spain striker turned down the offer of a new deal at the Primera Liga club over the summer and said he wanted to leave, but Bilbao refused to negotiate with interested sides.

Llorente, who has previously been linked with Juventus and Arsenal, has found himself relegated to the bench so far this season, starting one league game and scoring a single goal.

After failing to persuade him to stay, Bilbao could choose to sell the 27-year-old in January rather than lose him on a free transfer in the summer, with Juve thought to be planning a winter swoop for the striker.

He said: "I am going to leave on June 30. I want to develop as a player and try something new."

Llorente, who made his senior debut with Bilbao in January 2005 after coming through their youth academy, was the club's top scorer last season with 17 goals in 32 league appearances.

The uncertainty over his future has made him a target of abuse from some sections of Bilbao's fans and he added: "It isn't about money because the offer the club made was irresistible.

"The media have not helped with the negotiations and it is one of the things that has generated the bad atmosphere around me out on the pitch. This has encouraged me not to renew my contract; this and many other things.

"I took the decision when I went out for the first Europa League game at San Mames (in August).

"Most of what has come out in the press is lies and this has turned people against me. This has meant when I run out on to the pitch people whistle at me. There is a sector of the crowd who do not want me but I feel loved by the majority."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Neville 'concerned' over Reds form

Gary Neville has admitted that he is "concerned" that a resurgent Liverpool could qualify for the Champions League ahead of Manchester United.

Boro claim top spot as Derby lose

Middlesbrough became the new Championship leaders as they took advantage of Derby's latest slip by beating Millwall 3-0.

Aston Villa 2-1 West Brom: Benteke's late show helps end Villa's long wait for a win

Tim Sherwood recorded his first win as Aston Villa boss as Christian Benteke's late penalty helped beat West Brom 2-1.

Mail Box

Look Away Now Please, Sherwood...

Sherwood's cringeworthiness, Matic's Wembley celebrations, why LVG must show balls - it's all here in your Wednesday afternoon Mailbox...

United's No 2 Isn't That Bad Either...

One mailboxer is getting in a flap about the claim Man Utd would struggle without De Dea, while there's some anger directed at Chelsea...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company