Lescott staying at City

Joleon Lescott has ruled out any possibility of leaving Manchester City during this month's transfer window.

Last Updated: 05/01/13 at 18:58 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Indian Super League: Michael Chopra eyes Kerala return

Post comment

Former Newcastle striker Michael Chopra is keen to return to the Indian Super League, which will kick off on October 3.

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal have financial power to compete for Premier League title

Post comment

Mikel Arteta feels Arsenal have the financial strength to be able to challenge for the Premier League title next season.

All Articles

Joleon Lescott: Determined to stay with

Joleon Lescott: Determined to stay with

Lescott has fallen out of favour at City this season, although he did complete the full 90 minutes of Saturday's FA Cup third round victory over Watford at the Etihad Stadium.

QPR, Aston Villa and Lescott's former club Everton have all been linked with a move for the 30-year-old England international.

However, in a statement released on Lescott's behalf by the player's spokesman tonight, it is clear he wants to remain with City.

"Joleon Lescott has ruled out the possibility of any loan move during the January transfer window," said the statement.

"Despite speculation linking him with several Premier League clubs, Joleon has no desire to leave Manchester City."

Saturday's appearance was only Lescott's 16th of the season. One of those was a bizarre last-minute introduction as a striker at Sunderland on Boxing Day, when City lost 1-0.

Manager Roberto Mancini has preferred young Serbian Matija Nastasic alongside skipper Vincent Kompany for most of the club's big games this season.

Lescott's status as a pivotal member of both City's Premier League-winning squad and their FA Cup-winning team in 2011 does not seem to have counted for much, nor his position within the England fold at Euro 2012.

It is not beyond question that City may look to offload one of their high earners this month, although with Kolo Toure away on African Nations Cup duty with the Ivory Coast for the rest of January, a replacement would need to be found.

And Mancini did not give any indication today that he was willing to sell after he was asked about the latest link with Villa.

"No," he said.

"We don't have enough players to play 40 days without Yaya, without Kolo and with eight players injured. We need players in, not out."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

David Gill confirms he will not take up FIFA executive committee post

Football Association vice-chairman David Gill has confirmed he will not take up his post on FIFA’s executive committee.

Sepp Blatter claims he knows how to fix FIFA after re-election

Sepp Blatter says he knows how to fix FIFA’s broken reputation after a traumatic week for football’s governing body.

Sepp Blatter will not last two years, says FA chairman Greg Dyke

FA chairman Greg Dyke is not surprised Sepp Blatter won a fifth term as FIFA president but he does not expect him to even last two years.

Mail Box

Players Must Stand Up For Qatar Boycott

Players, not bureaucrats, hold the key to boycotting Qatar. Also in the afternoon mailbox: Wenger is right to rotate, Zlatan can dribble, and it's Barca v Ajax in the budget final...

What Would You Do If You Were Blatter?

Step into Sepp's shoes, is the invitation from one mailboxer. Also: United already have their new number one, Rodgers deserves time, and the best Budget XI so far...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company