West Brom hit out at Odemwingie

West Brom have accused Peter Odemwingie of acting "wholly unprofessionally" after his failed move to QPR.

Last Updated: 01/02/13 at 11:04 Post Comment    Bet with SkyBet  Transfer Specials. Click here to bet.

Latest Articles

Livorno sack Di Carlo

Post comment

Relegation-threatened Livorno have sacked Domenico Di Carlo after just 88 days in charge and re-appointed Davide Nicola.

Van Dijk plays down move

Post comment

Virgil van Dijk claims he knows nothing of interest from English clubs and is keen to prove himself in the Champions League with Celtic.

All Articles

Peter Odemwingie: Move to QPR fell throu

Peter Odemwingie: Move to QPR fell throu

The striker arrived at Loftus Road unannounced on Thursday night and, according to QPR, uninvited, trying to make something happen.

While Odemwingie was addressing a media scrum telling them he was ready for a "new chapter" in his career after a public display of dissent about his situation with West Brom, Hoops boss Harry Redknapp was telling a radio phone-in that he wanted to sign the 31-year-old Nigeria international.

At the same time, West Brom released a statement saying they had not allowed Odemwingie to talk to QPR, something Rangers later backed up.

Redknapp later claimed "wires got crossed" before Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace issued a statement admitting the whole situation was an "unsavoury affair" for all involved.

"This evening's developments have brought a conclusion to what has been an unsavoury affair," he said.

"As our Sporting & Technical Director (designate) Richard Garlick has repeatedly said in recent days, we had no need or desire to sell our core players.

"The only way we would have considered letting Peter leave was if an acceptable offer was forthcoming and if we had found a suitable replacement at relatively short notice.

"Neither materialised and, in the end, the matter became a point of principle as much as anything.

"Peter has acted wholly unprofessionally. He must now accept the fact he remains under contract for a further 18 months and has to focus on his Albion commitments."

It was after announcing he had signed Jermaine Jenas and Andros Townsend, players he had worked with at Tottenham, that Redknapp had addressed the issue of Odemwingie, saying he felt sorry for a player who now faces an embarrassing return to West Brom.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, he said: "I think he probably felt that the deal had been agreed between the clubs and it hadn't and it was all a mix-up really.

"I feel sorry for the lad and the way the whole thing's turned out. It wasn't any of our doing. I think he was maybe advised that he should turn up here and that the club had made an offer and the offer had been accepted. The wires got crossed somewhere."

Asked if the deal could be resurrected, he said: "Not now. Not at this time of night. It's too late."

Odemwingie has had an emotionally-charged week, often criticising West Brom on Twitter for their failure to accept two Rangers bids for him.

He suggested that was in the past on Thursday night when he thought he was on his way to QPR, saying: "It's fine. West Brom was my home but this is a new chapter. I love West Brom and always will.

"I am optimistic. A few good players have arrived here (at QPR) and I am happy with the trust Harry Redknapp has in me.

"The last few results have given us a chance to stay up. I don't think the owners will bring in so many players if they don't think it will happen.

"I hope West Brom are happy with what they will get and they hope to get players themselves."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Bet with SkyBet  Transfer Specials. Click here to bet.

Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Premier League: Roberto Martinez hails Everton players after win over Manchester United

Roberto Martinez saluted the focus and adaptability of his Everton squad after a 2-0 victory over Manchester United.

Transfer news: Atletico Mineiro to take Nicolas Anelka to FIFA

Atletico Mineiro president Alexandre Kalil has said that he is considering taking Nicolas Anelka to FIFA.

Premier League: David Moyes admits defensive errors cost Manchester United at Everton

David Moyes feels Man Utd conceded 'terrible goals' on his return to Everton and says missing out on the top four hurts.

Mail Box

That's Why We Didn't Want Jose At United

There is plenty of reaction to Mourinho's antics (Isn't that exactly what he wanted?) plus thoughts on Connor Wickham, Fabio Borini, beach balls and Tim Sherwood...

Kieran's Not The Only One Keeping Notes

Another chap in the mailbox has been keeping notes on comments made by optimistic Man United fans. Plus, Garey Vance is offering a double-or-quits on his new tattoo...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property