Pochettino wants Puncheon stay

Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino hopes a new contract can be agreed with Jason Puncheon over the coming weeks.

Last Updated: 22/02/13 at 23:58 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Darren Bent not for sale, says Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert

Post comment

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert says striker Darren Bent is not for sale ahead of the close of the transfer window.

Taider set for Saints exit

Post comment

It is understood Saphir Taider is set to leave Southampton just three weeks after arriving on a season-long loan.

All Articles

Jason Puncheon: Has become an integral p

Jason Puncheon: Has become an integral p

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino hopes a new contract can be agreed with Jason Puncheon over the coming weeks.

The 26-year-old joined from Plymouth just over three years ago but his time at St Mary's has not always been plain sailing.

Puncheon spent several loan spells away from the club after losing his place in the first team and little over a year ago took to Twitter to criticise Southampton executive chairman Nicola Cortese.

The winger threatened to see out the rest of his contract training with the reserves and youth team, but the pair patched up their differences and he has now become an integral part of the team.

So much so, in fact, that Southampton fans are clamouring for Puncheon to extend his stay beyond the end of the season - something Pochettino would also like to see.

"I myself haven't spoken anything about his contract," the Argentinian said, speaking through a translator.

"I've only recently arrived so my first priority has to be the whole of the team, not just one player.

"There are certain movements that were already happening with players when I arrived.

"In the coming weeks we will be speaking at a club level with the appropriate people to decide on the matters of players at the club.

"Puncheon is a player I am counting on and he is a player that has certain qualities and skills that are good for the team so, yes, I'd like him to stay."

On Sunday Puncheon will be coming up against the man that first brought him to St Mary's.

Alan Pardew managed Saints for a little over a year and the Newcastle boss has previously been linked with a move for the winger.

Asked how he would reacted if approached by Magpies boss about Puncheon, Pochettino said: "I wouldn't be able to do anything if that were the case.

"It will be down to the player to make that decision. I've said before that we will make decisions on the future."

Puncheon is one of several players, including Rickie Lambert and Jose Fonte, that were brought to Southampton by Pardew.

However, Pochettino, much like predecessor Nigel Adkins before the home match with Newcastle earlier in the season, says he owes the former boss nothing.

"I always think that in football is not just one person signing any one players," he said. "It is the club signing the players.

"Now I am the manager here and I will probably bring in some players.

"Some players will work out so maybe sometime in the future I may be thanked, but then there will be players that didn't work out. That is how football really is."

Reports in Spain suggested one player that Pochettino had hoped to bring in during the January transfer window was Getafe's Abdelaziz Barrada.

It was claimed the Saints failed with a club-record £15.25million bid for the midfielder, who has been linked to Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"There is no truth to that," Pochettino said. "Nothing of the sort has happened.

"On a personal level, I have not made any offers, any approaches, for any players."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Transfer news: Tottenham strike deal for Montpellier midfielder Benjamin Stambouli

Tottenham have agreed a fee with Montpellier for defensive midfielder Benjamin Stambouli, according to the French club.

Transfer news: Chelsea confirm agreement with AC Milan for two-year Fernando Torres loan

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres will have a medical at AC Milan on Saturday ahead of an agreed two-year loan deal.

Europa League: Roberto Martinez happy Everton start and finish at home

Roberto Martinez is happy with the way the fixtures have worked out for Everton in their tough Europa League draw.

Mail Box

Surely A Spurs Fan Should Remember...

...what happened to the fourth Champions League place the last time an English team won the thing. Plus, who would want to pay £60 to watch the current England team?

Ginger Pirlo? Don't Make Me Laugh...

A Sunderland fan in the mailbox is surprised by Jack Colback's call up to the England squad. Plus, thoughts on Welbeck and Liverpool's Champions League draw...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property