Santos offer Neymar new deal

Santos vice-president Odilio Rodrigues has confirmed the club have opened talks over a new contract for striker Neymar.

Last Updated: 27/02/13 at 13:37 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Mario Balotelli will remain at Liverpool, says Mino Raiola

Post comment

Mario Balotelli's agent Mino Raiola has revealed that the striker will not be leaving Anfield this summer.

Graham Dorrans signs for Norwich City from West Brom

Post comment

Graham Dorrans has signed a two-year deal with Norwich City following a successful loan spell with the club.

All Articles

Neymar: Could extend his contract at San

Neymar: Could extend his contract at San

Santos vice-president Odilio Rodrigues has denied rumours Barcelona have agreed a deal with Neymar and confirmed the club have opened talks over a new contract.

The Brazilian superstar is one of football's hottest properties and has been linked with a move to some of Europe's biggest clubs in recent months.

Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have all been credited with an interest in the 21-year-old in the past while rumours suggested Barcelona had come to an agreement to take him to the Nou Camp.

Earlier this month Barca full-back Dani Alves, an international team-mate of Neymar, urged the striker to make the move to the Catalan giants.

Santos have always insisted the forward will remain at the club until at least after the 2014 World Cup, due to be held in Brazil.

The club have now revealed they have opened negotiations over a new extended deal for the forward, playing down the earlier comments by Alves.

"The club's managing committee has already decided, we intend to extend his [Neymar's] contract beyond 2014, we are working to make that happen," Rodrigues told UOL.

"We have already opened talks with Neymar's father, who denies there is any kind of agreement [with Barcelona] and we believe him. He said Neymar will be where he is happy.

"The news from Daniel Alves isn't anything new, Neymar is being sold every day, there is always news that he has been sold.

"They even say that Santos has received some money. It's very common, but there is no negotiation between Santos and any other club."

Meanwhile, Barca star playmaker Lionel Messi missed training today due to illness.

The club's doctors visited Messi at his home this morning, where they gave the Argentina ace medication and advised him to rest.

Barca announced on their website that the record-breaking forward had "gone down with a fever and is feeling generally unwell".

Barca have a day off tomorrow but will be hoping Messi can take part in Friday's final training session before their re-match with Madrid on Saturday.

Midfielder Xavi, who like Messi started last night's semi-final, was also absent from squad training today as he received physiotherapy.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

FIFA face FBI criminal investigation as indictment alleges 'generations of bribery and corruption'

The FBI have outlined details of their damning 47-count indictment in their FIFA criminal investigation.

Mario Balotelli will remain at Liverpool, says Mino Raiola

Mario Balotelli's agent Mino Raiola has revealed that the striker will not be leaving Anfield this summer.

UEFA call for FIFA's presidential election to be postponed

UEFA have called for Friday’s FIFA presidential election to be postponed.

Mail Box

Vidic Is Part Of United's 'Budget XI'

We have post-2000 budget XIs on behalf of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. Plus gaelic football, FIFA, more awards and the majesty of Il Fenomeno...

Europa League: Hardly The AIA Cup

A Spurs fan definitely isn't bothered his side aren't in the Europa League final tonight. Also, a warning about Michael Laudrup, and how to build a team with less than £20m.

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company