Martinez: Contract talks on ice

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has put all contract talks on hold until the Latics' top-flight future is secure.

Last Updated: 25/04/13 at 16:33 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Agent of Porto's Juan Quintero plays down talk of Arsenal move

Post comment

The agent of Porto's Juan Quintero has played down reports linking the Colombia star with an imminent move to Arsenal.

Transfer news: Atletico Madrid rule out Fernando Torres, Javier Hernandez or Santi Cazorla moves

Post comment

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo will not try to sign Fernando Torres, Javier Hernandez or Santi Cazorla.

All Articles

Roberto Martinez: 'Right now, inidiv

Roberto Martinez: 'Right now, inidiv

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has put all contract talks on hold until the Latics' top-flight future is secure.

Efforts to persuade Maynor Figueroa, Franco di Santo and Antolin Alcaraz to sign extensions to deals that expire this summer have so far failed.

Now Wigan are in the relegation zone, with only five games remaining to save themselves, Martinez feels it would be a distraction for negotiations to continue.

"Right now, all the individual decisions are not important," said Martinez, whose side entertain Champions League-chasing Tottenham on Saturday.

"Everything is surrounding the final five games in the league and making sure we achieve our aim.

"The club is the priority. At the end of the season we will look into every individual because there are four or five who need to be given some consideration about the next step in their careers.

"At the moment, we are at a stage in the season where everything gets frozen because the only thing that matters is the football club."

Figueroa, who joined Wigan in 2008, has been tipped to follow former team-mate Mohamed Diame to West Ham in the summer.

Former Chelsea forward Di Santo has been linked with Lazio, whilst Alcaraz is bound to have his suitors given the authoritative manner of his performances since returning from a groin injury in February.

Unfortunately for the Paraguayan, he is now facing another spell on the sidelines after suffering a hamstring problem in last week's Premier League defeat at West Ham which places his appearance in the FA Cup final in doubt.

The 30-year-old has been told he will spend at least three weeks on the sidelines, which is exactly the time-frame from the West Ham match until the Wembley showpiece with Manchester City.

As Alcaraz is such a key figure within the Wigan defence, Martinez is bound to give him every opportunity to recover.

However, he accepts the South American is cutting it fine.

"As it stands it would be difficult to tell," he said.

"We are talking about three weeks since it happened. It will be touch and go. It depends how quickly he can recover."

Alcaraz will definitely sit out this weekend's game, with skipper Gary Caldwell set to assume authority in the centre of Wigan's three-man defence.

A pivotal figure in last season's successful survival quest, Caldwell has struggled for form this term.

He was dropped after the four-goal hammering by Liverpool at the beginning of March, when he was given a torrid time by Luis Suarez.

Caldwell did return at West Ham next week and should now make his 100th Premier League appearance for Wigan at the weekend.

"Gary, playing or not playing, is vital to this football club," said Martinez.

"He is the club captain and his influence to the players is very important.

"He is fresh and ready to step in and help the team."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Patrice Evra reveals he would have been Man Utd captain if he had stayed

Patrice Evra has revealed he would have been made captain if he had stayed at Manchester United.

Transfer news: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers targets further signings

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is hoping to further strengthen his squad ahead of the transfer deadline on September 1.

Transfer news: Jose Mourinho confirms Fernando Torres will stay at Chelsea

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has told Sky Sports News Fernando Torres will not be sold during this transfer window.

Mail Box

Plenty Of Reasons Why Lukaku's Worth It

The mailbox defends Everton's enormous outlay on Romelu Lukaku, while we also have mails on Spurs and Suarez. Oh, and worrying about the new magic spray...

Sterling Stuff And Other Friendly Thoughts

We have one reader reaching conclusions from last night's friendly while we have others discussing Romelu Lukaku's move to Everton. Oh and some swearing...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property