Report: Neymar set for Barca

Brazil striker Neymar is reported to have decided to join Barcelona this summer.

Last Updated: 26/05/13 at 07:34 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Muller "turned down United offer"

Post comment

Bayern Munich striker Thomas Muller has revealed that he turned down an "astronomical" offer to join Manchester United this summer.

Transfer news: Vincent Kompany hails Manchester City's summer business

Post comment

Vincent Kompany has saluted Manchester City's summer business, with fresh faces acquired and new deals agreed.

All Articles

Neymar: Set for Barcelona switch

Neymar: Set for Barcelona switch

Santos have accepted two offers for their star player, with Barcelona confirmed as one of the bidders and Real Madrid widely suggested to be the other side in pursuit.

After an initial meeting between club officials, Neymar and the player's father, no immediate decision on his future was reached, but Spanish media have since reported the forward will be moving to the Nou Camp.

A statement from Santos on Friday night read: "In a meeting with representatives of the management committee of Santos FC, striker Neymar Jr was made aware of the offers received by the club and he will analyse them in the coming days before making a final decision."

The 21-year-old's contract expires at the end of next season and some reports had suggested an agreement with Barcelona was as good as signed.

Santos vice-president Odilio Rodrigues apparently shares that view, quoted on the website of Spanish sports newspaper Diario AS as saying: "When I went to Barcelona to hear the offer, I learned that Neymar had a verbal agreement that when he finished his contract in 2014 he was going to Barcelona.

"He has a gentleman's agreement. He doesn't have a contract, but a verbal agreement."

The move to Barcelona was reported as a done deal by Marca.com, the website of the sports newspaper that most closely focuses on affairs at Real Madrid.

If Madrid are to miss out on Neymar, they will have to work out a way to contain him during the 'Clasico' matches next season.

Barcelona assistant boss Jordi Roura refused to be be drawn on the progress of Barcelona's chase, but acknowledged the talent of their target.

"Let things run their course," he said. "He's a spectacular player and any club would want him."

It was reported by Marca.com that Neymar's signing could be announced after Barcelona's Primera Division match at Espanyol on Sunday night, or during Monday.

Neymar, who trained with Santos on Saturday, is relishing the prospect of a move to Europe, being quoted by Brazilian sports website globoesporte.globo.com as saying last night: "This is an honour, the happiest moment of my life. I will now think carefully about these two proposals.

"I will decide with my family. I'm in no hurry. The decision may come out in five minutes, half an hour or three days."

Neymar, who has already played more than 30 games for his country, has spent his whole career so far at Santos, who have repeatedly fended off interest from a host of European clubs.

The club initially confirmed two bids had been accepted with a statement which read: "Santos FC announces that it has received two offers for the player Neymar da Silva Santos Junior.

"Given the offers and conditions of the player's contract, the management committee of the club have decided to sell the player."

It remains to be seen whether the transfer will be complicated by the complex nature of Neymar's ownership arrangement, with various investment groups holding a stake in the player as well as the club.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

Dear Brendan, Please Sign Di Maria

That's the request to Brendan Rodgers in the mailbox, and not just because it would annoy Man United fans. Plus, more thoughts on why Arsenal didn't want Cescy back...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property