Pearce leaves England U-21 post

England Under-21s are looking for a new manager after Stuart Pearce was informed he will not be kept on.

Last Updated: 18/06/13 at 20:19 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Juventus never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer

1 comments

Juventus general director Beppe Marotta has confirmed the club never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer.

Transfer news: Celtic boss Ronny Deila plays down Leigh Griffiths move talk

Post comment

Celtic boss Ronny Deila insists Leigh Griffiths remains part of his plans despite being linked with a move to Hibernian.

All Articles

Stuart Pearce: Searching for a new job

Stuart Pearce: Searching for a new job

In his six years at the helm, the former international full-back led the Young Lions to four successive European Championship finals.

Pearce's side finished runners-up to Germany in the 2009 edition but things have regressed since and they left this summer's tournament in Israel without a point to their name.

That, coupled with England's group exit two years ago, led to the FA's confirmation today that Pearce will leave when his contract expires at the end of the month.

"I'd like to thank Stuart Pearce for his hard work," chairman David Bernstein said.

"Nobody can doubt his commitment to the job throughout his time as under-21 coach.

"He has done extremely well in qualifying for finals tournaments, but after the disappointment of the past two tournaments, we believe it is time to change coach.

"On behalf of everyone at the FA I'd like to wish Stuart well for the future."

Glenn Hoddle, Michael Appleton and Phil Neville have all been linked to the post, although Gareth Southgate is overwhelming favourite.

The former Middlesbrough boss worked as the FA's head of elite development until last year and on Tuesday evening was 8/11 with bookmakers Sky Bet to succeed Pearce.

With the future in mind, Bernstein added: "It is important the organisation now considers the best approach for the role of under-21 coach and how this works best within the overall England structure before making any new appointment."

The Club England board's decision comes as no major surprise, but will undoubtedly disappoint some of the players.

Danny Rose admitted they let down Pearce in Israel, while captain Jordan Henderson expressed his desire for the former full-back to be kept on.

Andre Wisdom, Connor Wickham and Jack Butland - all eligible for 2015 edition - also backed Pearce, with the latter particularly vocal.

Meanwhile, former senior team manager Steve McClaren wants the FA to follow the likes of Italy and Holland by appointing an experienced head of youth development.

"It is a great period now to reflect," he told Sky Sports. "When you talk about adversity, failure, losing in a big tournament, like the other countries, it is time to reflect.

"It is time to say at the elite end, what is our vision? Where do we want to be in five or 10 years? Competing to win trophies.

"What is our philosophy? How do we do it? So look at the four components - physically, technically, tactically, mentally - and ask what are we lacking?

"Then we need to say 'we need to work on technique, work tactically and on intelligence', but the key thing is players don't develop that without good coaching.

"It is talking about taking coaching all the way back to that level and I know they are working on that at the FA at the present moment with Dan Ashworth, technical director at St George's Park.

"They are doing that at grassroots level but this elite level they need somebody at the top with experience.

"We talked about Arrigo Sacchi with Italy and Louis van Gaal doing that philosophy with Holland - experienced coaches setting the vision, starting the philosophy. It starts at the top and works down.

"Starting at the bottom with the coaches, working up, you'll eventually have a conveyor belt, like the Spanish, of players who can do all four components of the game."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

FIFA tightens concussion rules after World Cup incidents

Players suffering suspected concussion will have to be cleared by team doctors, under new FIFA proposals.

Transfer news: Juventus never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer

Juventus general director Beppe Marotta has confirmed the club never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer.

Premier League: Phil Neville wants Manchester United to spend another £100m

Phil Neville says Man United need to spend another £100m on their squad before they can be considered title contenders.

Mail Box

Should Gerrard Play Further Forward?

That's one shout in a mailbox that recalls Rafa Benitez saying the Liverpool man would one day end up as a striker. Plus, thoughts on Rooney and 500 words on Ipswich...

Will Rodgers Finally Drop Gerrard?

The mailbox wants to know if Brendan Rodgers has the stones to drop Steven Gerrard. Plus, thoughts on Wayne Rooney's display, sitting down, and thanking United fans...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property