Mills fears Bale departure

Tottenham director Sir Keith Mills accepts the club will struggle to stop Gareth Bale from joining Real Madrid if that is his wish.

Last Updated: 06/08/13 at 18:24 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Gareth Bale looking forward to next season with Real Madrid

Post comment

Gareth Bale has given a strong indication that he expects to remain with Real Madrid next season.

Artur Boruc stays at Bournemouth

Post comment

Bournemouth have signed Artur Boruc on a permanent deal following his release by Southampton.

All Articles

Gareth Bale: Talk about a move to Real M

Gareth Bale: Talk about a move to Real M

Tottenham director Sir Keith Mills has admitted the club are almost powerless to keep Gareth Bale if he wants to move to Real Madrid, even though he signed a new four-year contract only last summer.

Real Madrid have confirmed they are in talks with Tottenham over Bale and a potential world record transfer, with Spurs said to be demanding in excess of £80million.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has said that Bale is not for sale, but Spurs recognise any attempts to keep the Wales international against his will would be futile.

Mills told the Evening Standard: "We very much want Bale to stay.

"If a player is desperate to leave, it's very difficult to force him to stay.

"We've seen it in other clubs. Even if he has a contract, you can't force somebody to play for you."

Villas-Boas' comments prompted a report in the Spanish media that Bale would stay away from the training ground today but they proved unfounded.

Such a move would have been out of character for the 24-year-old and he spent five hours at the Spurs training complex at Enfield. He was dropped off at 10.30am and collected at around 3.30pm.

Speculation is at fever pitch, with every move being analysed for clues as to whether Bale will stay at White Hart Lane or become the latest British 'galactico' at Real Madrid.

Tottenham today insisted their decision to remove Bale's image from the club's official Twitter page was unrelated to the on-going transfer saga.

Bale's image had been on the left of the page with Clint Dempsey's on the right. Spurs explained that the page was redesigned following Dempsey's sale to the Seattle Sounders.

Aaron Lennon and Moussa Dembele have been used in place of Dempsey and Bale.

Bale, who scored 26 goals for Tottenham last year, has not played for Spurs since their first game of the summer - a 1-1 draw against Swindon on July 16.

He missed the club's pre-season tour of Hong Kong because of a gluteal injury and did not travel to Monaco after suffering a foot problem.

Spurs are said to be demanding a world-record sum in excess of the £80m fee the Spanish club paid Manchester United for Cristiano Ronaldo four years ago.


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Eden Hazard is open to another 10 years at Chelsea

Eden Hazard wants to stay at Chelsea for years and join football's elite by leading the club to Champions League glory.

Rafael Benitez '99 per cent' certain to be next Real Madrid boss

Rafael Benitez is '99 per cent' certain to be Real Madrid boss, says Carlo Ancelotti's representative Ernesto Bronzetti.

Manuel Pellegrini confident Man City will be stronger next season

Manuel Pellegrini is confident Manchester City will regain the Premier League title next season.

Mail Box

Who Is The Most Complete Striker Ever..?

...the answer is the original Ronaldo, Gerd Muller, Cristiano or Alan Shearer, depending on who you talk to. We also have one signing per Premier League (and promoted team)...

Reviewing Every PL Side's Season...

Time to half-heartedly agree or furiously reject some ratings. The mails also discuss the most complete striker ever in football, as well as Rodgers, Falcao and Bill O'Herilhy.

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company