Wenger: I'll spend on better players

Arsene Wenger insists he is excited by the prospect of spending big - but says he will only invest money wisely.

Last Updated: 17/08/13 at 09:02 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Jason Denayer hoping his future lies at Manchester City

Post comment

Jason Denayer is thoroughly enjoying a loan spell at Celtic, but hopes his long-term future lies at Manchester City.

Premier League: Newcastle's Gabriel Obertan sees persistence rewarded

Post comment

Gabriel Obertan never allowed his head to drop during a tough spell at Newcastle and has now seen his persistence rewarded.

All Articles

Arsene Wenger: Will only spend on player

Arsene Wenger: Will only spend on player

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists he is excited by the prospect of spending big before the end of the transfer window - but stressed he must be convinced any new arrivals will prove better than what the club already have.

Chief executive Ivan Gazidis may have talked up the Gunners' new "financial firepower" at the end of the last campaign, but so far the only confirmed signing has been France Under-21 forward Yaya Sanogo - and that on a free transfer from Auxerre.

Arsenal, who earlier this summer failed to push through a deal for Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain, saw another target get away this week as £15million-rated Brazil midfielder Luiz Gustavo joined Wolfsburg from Bayern Munich.

A £50million deal for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez continues to be touted, but with the player back in training with the Reds it appears a reconciliation had taken place with Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers.

Wenger still has plenty of targets, which are said to include Lille winger Florian Thauvin and Romania forward Ciprian Marica, who would be available on a Bosman following his release by Schalke.

The French coach will this season become the longest serving manager in the top flight, but has been criticised for what is perceived as a lack of willingness to part with what is understood to be around £70million ready to reinvest in his squad.

The 63-year-old, however, insists he is ready to spend the money, but only on the right calibre of player.

"If you bring me tomorrow players who are better than those we have, I promise you we will look at them, but you cannot say that (Jack) Wilshere is a super player and then ask 'why you do not buy better player than him?'," said Wenger, whose side will open the new Barclays Premier League campaign against Aston Villa on Saturday without Mikel Arteta, the midfielder possibly set for up to six weeks sidelined by a thigh injury.

"If you want to absolutely describe me as a greedy (miserly) person and you would live with me, you would see that I am not, I am rather generous," he said.

"But we had to go through a period when we had to look at the money that we spent. Today we look for the quality and not necessarily the money that we spend.

"What can I do about it (the public perception)? Sometimes the image you (media) give people is reality and sometimes not.

"Of course it is unfair. Why should I resist (to spend)? I just defend the idea that you spend the money you have and not the money you don't have.

"For years I did that. Today we have more so we can spend more. It is as simple as that.

"Of course I am excited by that prospect, but what I want to convince you of is that we are ready to spend the money if we feel that the players makes us a better team tomorrow morning.

"Maybe it is difficult to balance that in a newspaper, but football is not only about that. It is bigger than that, it is about the team, the quality of the play, the spirit and togetherness and the quality of the players. Therefore we have to focus on all the rest as well."


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

FA seeks answers from Garry Monk over post-match criticism of referees

The FA has contacted Swansea manager Garry Monk regarding his post-match media comments after the game against Stoke.

Premier League: Didier Drogba hoping to lead Chelsea line at Old Trafford

Didier Drogba admits he is still getting up to speed at Chelsea, but has declared himself 'ready' to face Man Utd.

Carragher: Balotelli will leave Liverpool next season

Jamie Carragher does not believe Mario Balotelli will remain with the club next season.

Mail Box

Oh Mario - Why Always Meh?

Come on in and play the Liverpool blame game. Is it the fault of Rodgers, Balotelli, Mignolet, Johnson, Markovic or Lovren? Plus, Arsenal fans annoyed in victory...

Do Man City Have A 'Small Mentality'?

That's one claim in the mailbox after Vincent Kompany focused on a few hundred CSKA fans sneaking into the ground instead of City blowing a two-goal lead...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property