Pandza on Rangers radar

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has not yet given up hope of landing Boris Pandza.

Last Updated: 26/08/13 at 16:33 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Juventus never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer

Post comment

Juventus general director Beppe Marotta has confirmed the club never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer.

Transfer news: Celtic boss Ronny Deila plays down Leigh Griffiths move talk

Post comment

Celtic boss Ronny Deila insists Leigh Griffiths remains part of his plans despite being linked with a move to Hibernian.

All Articles

Boris Pandza: Wanted by Rangers

Boris Pandza: Wanted by Rangers

The Light Blues boss is keen to bolster his defence and the Bosnia-Herzegovina international remains on the radar.

The 26-year-old centre-back has been the subject of protracted talks stretching back a number of weeks, and McCoist says the player is still on his wanted list.

He said: "Not all transfers are clear-cut and can get done in 24 hours.

"This one is obviously taking a little bit of time but I would still be very hopeful.

"My job as manager is to improve the squad where and when I can.

"There are one or two players I would like to bring in so we will see over the next few days if we can get them in.

"I would like another centre-back and I would like to get another forward as well because I think we are a little bit sparse in those areas in terms of injury and suspension."

McCoist also wants to add another goalkeeper to challenge Cammy Bell for the gloves.

Steve Simonsen has been training with the squad, along with former Everton midfielder Sam Kelly.

"Both of them are here for another week," McCoist said.

"The fact that they're back for another week would indicate they are doing well and we're happy to have them for another week.

"In terms of offering something longer term, it will probably be Thursday or Friday before we know any more on that."

Rangers head into the Ramsdens Cup second round tie against Berwick Rangers on a high following Friday's 6-0 thrashing of Airdrie in the Scottish League One on Friday.

McCoist said: "If I could get a repeat of Friday's game, I would be delighted.

"Berwick have posed us one or two problems in the past and they have started the season reasonably well.

"We go back to last year's side in the respect that we can't play any of our new faces.

"It's a game we are looking forward to after a good performance and result against Airdrieonians but we will have to be very careful as well."

Rangers must wait until September 1, when a transfer embargo is lifted, to register their eight new players.

Competition rules restrict them from fielding trialists beyond the first round of the Ramsdens Cup so Jon Daly and Nicky Law - both on the scoresheet at Airdrie - are ineligible for the visit of the Wee Rangers.

McCoist added: "I've got one or two concerns, but there is nothing I can do about it.

"We just have to go out and prepare right, which we attempt to do for every game, and treat the opposition with respect.

"It's up to the boys who go out and play the game (on Tuesday) night.

"We are expected to do our best - and we expect to do our best - in every competition we are in and give everything we've got.

"The Ramsdens Cup is no different. Queen of the South put us out last year and we want to do well in the competition this year.

"We want to go all the way. It's no different from any other competition.

"It's not ideal because of the circumstances in terms of the personnel we are allowed to pick from.

"But that's where we are and we just have to get on with it."


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet then £5 free every week


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Transfer news: Juventus never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer

Juventus general director Beppe Marotta has confirmed the club never considered signing Mario Balotelli in the summer.

Premier League: Phil Neville wants Manchester United to spend another £100m

Phil Neville says Man United need to spend another £100m on their squad before they can be considered title contenders.

Sunderland's Santiago Vergini earns Argentina call-up

Sunderland defender Santiago Vergini has been called up by Argentina for the friendlies against Brazil and Hong Kong.

Mail Box

Should Gerrard Play Further Forward?

That's one shout in a mailbox that recalls Rafa Benitez saying the Liverpool man would one day end up as a striker. Plus, thoughts on Rooney and 500 words on Ipswich...

Will Rodgers Finally Drop Gerrard?

The mailbox wants to know if Brendan Rodgers has the stones to drop Steven Gerrard. Plus, thoughts on Wayne Rooney's display, sitting down, and thanking United fans...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property