Pochettino: No Tottenham contact

Tottenham have made no contact with Mauricio Pochettino about their vacant manager's job, the Southampton boss has confirmed.

Last Updated: 20/12/13 at 10:05 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Nottingham Forest will not loan out Dexter Blackstock

Post comment

Nottingham Forest boss Stuart Pearce has no intention of sending fit-again striker Dexter Blackstock out on loan.

Transfer news: Bryan Ruiz offered clean slate at Fulham

Post comment

Bryan Ruiz found himself frozen out at Fulham under Felix Magath, but will be offered a clean slate by Kit Symons.

All Articles

Southampton host managerless Spurs in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday, seeking their first win in six games.

Saints' Argentinian manager had been widely touted as a potential replacement for Andre Villas-Boas at White Hart Lane.

But the 41-year-old Southampton boss confirmed no-one from Tottenham has been in touch.

Pochettino is happy at Southampton, especially with the backing of chairman Nicola Cortese.

"As a manager what's really important is that the sporting aspect is under my control, in terms of signings," Pochettino said.

"Without my agreement no signings go through, and those two basic things are very important for any manager."

Tottenham sacked manager Villas-Boas in the wake of last weekend's humiliating 5-0 home league defeat to Liverpool.


Back Pochettino at 25/1 to be the next Spurs boss!


Former Spurs midfielder Tim Sherwood will take charge of Sunday's Southampton clash, but chairman Daniel Levy is still seeking a full-time appointment.

Pochettino admitted it is always tough to see a peer lose their job.

He said: "I'm always very respectful with decisions that people make at other clubs.

"It's clear that it's never a good thing when a colleague is sacked.

"I would like to wish Andre Villas-Boas all the best in the future, these things can happen in football.

"That's the bitter side of this game that no one wants but can still happen."

Pochettino is happy with his Southampton squad, and does not expect much transfer activity at the club in the January window.

Laughing off rumours linking England striker Rickie Lambert with a move to West Ham, he said: "We are not really concerned with the January transfer window, we are really happy with the young players who are part of this team.

"Our younger players are getting a feel for what it means to be in this side, it gives us important balance, and we're really happy with their contribution.

"Rumours do exist: apparently this season we have rumours from the president to the kit man.

"We don't know where these come from.

"So we need to be fully focused on our work and fully aware that it's full of rumours."


New Sky Bet customers: Free £30 matched bet


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Transfer news: Chelsea's Jose Mourinho plays down Cristiano Ronaldo transfer talk

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has played down speculation about signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Dundee boss Paul Hartley anticipates a good derby with United

Dundee boss Paul Hartley maintains his players have no fears as they prepare for the derby match with Dundee United.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property