Heitinga's future remains unknown

Roberto Martinez has reported no further developments over Johnny Heitinga's potential departure from Everton.

Last Updated: 03/01/14 at 12:34 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Sky Bet Championship: Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy offers Jack Collison deal

Post comment

Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy has offered a short-term contract to former West Ham midfielder Jack Collison.

Transfer news: Fawaz Al Hasawi looking to further strengthen Nottingham Forest

Post comment

Chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi has vowed to strengthen Nottingham Forest year on year, with loan arrivals possible.

All Articles

Johnny Heitinga: Turned down a move to W

Johnny Heitinga: Turned down a move to W

Everton boss Roberto Martinez has reported no further developments with regard to Johnny Heitinga's potential departure from the club following the defender's decision to turn down a switch to West Ham.

The Toffees reached agreement with the Hammers over Heitinga, but in a statement released by his agents on Thursday, the Holland international said he had not been convinced that transfer would be right for him and had therefore called it off.

He added that he was confident, with the interest being shown in him, that he would be able to join another side before the end of the January transfer window.

For the time being, though, Martinez has stressed Heitinga is still part of the Everton squad.

And it remains to seen whether or not the 30-year-old plays in Saturday's FA Cup third-round home clash with QPR, which, after two run-outs in the Capital One Cup, would be only his third appearance of the season.

Asked on Friday at his press conference to preview the QPR game if there had been any further developments in terms of Heitinga, Martinez said: "No. Johnny is coming back today and is going to train and is going to be part of the squad again.

"We agreed terms with West Ham, but obviously it is down to the player feeling it is the right move for his career."

Heitinga has spoken about his desire to play for his country at this summer's World Cup, a goal he is convinced he will need to find regular first-team football in order to achieve.

Another Everton player who has had limited game time this season and is hoping to feature at the tournament in Brazil is striker Nikica Jelavic.

The Croatia international - also the subject of interest from other clubs - could make his first start since September in the QPR match and Martinez insists Jelavic is still a "very important player in our team".

But asked if he would consider offers for 28-year-old, the Spaniard said: "If it is a situation where Niki can play football and it could prepare his World Cup campaign, and as a football club we get a deal which allows us to move on, we would look into it and consider it. I think we have been very open with that.

"It is only fair that we are open and we need to try to see every situation that is on the table for the future of the two players.

"Niki and Johnny are in a very similar situation, but until that changes, I consider them to be two massive players in the squad and day-to-day, for me they are very important."

Meanwhile, Martinez has expressed his surprise at the controversy surrounding referee Mark Clattenburg and the Premier League game between Everton and Southampton that he oversaw on December 29.

Press Association Sport understands the Saints lodged a complaint with Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) in the wake of their 2-1 defeat at Goodison Park, claiming Clattenburg verbally abused their midfielder Adam Lallana.

Asked about that on Friday, Martinez said: "That is the first time I've heard that.

"I thought Mark Clattenburg had a very good game in terms of controlling the players and showing a great manner, and I'm quite surprised.

"I don't think that was the case. It is the first time I've heard a comment about that."


New Sky Bet customers: Free £30 matched bet


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Champions League: Chelsea draw 1-1 with Schalke at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea were held to a 1-1 draw by Schalke at Stamford Bridge in their opening Group G Champions League clash.

Kagawa: My heart stayed in Dortmund

Shinji Kagawa admits life at Manchester United was "particularly difficult", but the playmaker says his heart was always at Borussia Dortmund.

Championship news: Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer set to leave club

Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appears set to leave the club following talks over his future, Sky sources understand.

Mail Box

I've Given It Some Thought: He's Got To Go

There is some more considered reaction to Arsenal and Liverpool's results, plus a big get well soon message for Jonas Gutierrez. And an apology to Merse...

B**locks To That, I'm Going To Sit In The Shed

Arsenal supporters given their understandable reaction to the debacle in Dortmund, whilst Liverpool fans weren't too impressed either. Still, at least they won...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property