Cesar set to leave in January

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes has conceded that Julio Cesar's departure from the club seems inevitable in January.

Last Updated: 21/01/14 at 12:38 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Agent of Porto's Juan Quintero plays down talk of Arsenal move

Post comment

The agent of Porto's Juan Quintero has played down reports linking the Colombia star with an imminent move to Arsenal.

Transfer news: Atletico Madrid rule out Fernando Torres, Javier Hernandez or Santi Cazorla moves

Post comment

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo will not try to sign Fernando Torres, Javier Hernandez or Santi Cazorla.

All Articles

Julio Cesar: Could leave QPR this month

Julio Cesar: Could leave QPR this month

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes has conceded that Julio Cesar's departure from the club seems inevitable during the January transfer window.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper has been restricted to just one appearance this season featuring in QPR's 4-0 FA Cup defeat to Everton earlier this month.

And, with a World Cup in his home country of Brazil looming this summer, Fernandes believes the former Inter Milan goalkeeper's future lies away from Loftus Road.

"I think so," Fernandes told Sky Sports News when asked if he thought Cesar was likely to leave the club in January. "It's a waste for someone with such immense talent not playing and I think he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, so I'm sure someone will pick him up and let's see how that goes.

"We've gone with Rob (Green) because at the beginning of the season we thought Julio wouldn't be there. Rob has come in and done a fantastic job and I think he could be pushing for an England place - he's played really well.

"Just look at the last game (a 2-1 home victory over Huddersfield on Saturday). He kept us in the game till we came back and won. He's been superb."

Cagliari have been heavily linked with a move for the veteran stopper after the club's owner Massimo Cellino confirmed a meeting between the pair.

"I spoke to Julio Cesar who is not playing at QPR and wants to go to the World Cup," Cellino told Sardinian newspaper Unione Sarde.

"He told me that he knows the team and would return to Italy."

Cesar himself admits that he would consider a move to Sardinia in order to get more games under his belt.

"Me to Cagliari? Sardinia is well, there's always the sun, I'd like to go there," Cesar told tuttomercatoweb.com.

"Honestly, no offers have come in at the moment."

Fernandes said the club may add to the squad during the January transfer window but insisted the bulk of the transfer activity for the season has been concluded as QPR continue their quest for an instant return to the Premier League.

"We've done a remarkable job of moving on a lot and bringing in a great lot of players the squad is fantastic the spirit is great," he said.

"We would like to strengthen it a little bit here and there but most of the work has been done we wouldn't be second in the league with 52 points if we had lots of problems.

"But we've got to build on that and credit to Harry and the management team for putting in the work and bouncing back when everyone wrote us off and said we were the next club to go into ruin.

"We've come back smiling and looking good so the project is alive and we keep our fingers crossed that we make it to the promised land of the Premier League."


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Patrice Evra reveals he would have been Man Utd captain if he had stayed

Patrice Evra has revealed he would have been made captain if he had stayed at Manchester United.

Transfer news: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers targets further signings

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is hoping to further strengthen his squad ahead of the transfer deadline on September 1.

Transfer news: Jose Mourinho confirms Fernando Torres will stay at Chelsea

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has told Sky Sports News Fernando Torres will not be sold during this transfer window.

Mail Box

Plenty Of Reasons Why Lukaku's Worth It

The mailbox defends Everton's enormous outlay on Romelu Lukaku, while we also have mails on Spurs and Suarez. Oh, and worrying about the new magic spray...

Sterling Stuff And Other Friendly Thoughts

We have one reader reaching conclusions from last night's friendly while we have others discussing Romelu Lukaku's move to Everton. Oh and some swearing...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property