Cabaye pushed for PSG move

Newcastle officials told a fans' forum that they had little choice but to sell Yohan Cabaye as he pushed for a move.

Last Updated: 26/02/14 at 12:12 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Premier League: Jose Mourinho says captain John Terry will receive a contract extension to stay at Chelsea beyond the end of this season.

Post comment

Manager Jose Mourinho has said he can guarantee skipper John Terry "will be a Chelsea player next season".

Premier League: Petr Cech not likely to leave Chelsea unless huge transfer fee involved

Post comment

Jose Mourinho says it will take "huge money" to prise goalkeeper Petr Cech away from Chelsea this summer.

All Articles

Yohan Cabaye: France midfielder left New

Yohan Cabaye: France midfielder left New

Newcastle United officials have told a fans' forum that they were left with little choice but to sell Yohan Cabaye as he pushed for a move.

Club directors Lee Charnley and John Irving were among those to face questioning from various groups on Monday.

Among the subjects offered up for discussion was the Magpies' January transfer business, with the decision taken to offload influential midfielder Cabaye to Paris St Germain despite having no replacement lined up.

Newcastle had been able to prevent the Frenchman from moving last summer, amid interest from Arsenal, but claim their hand was forced in the winter window as the 28-year-old made it clear that he wanted out.

Asked if the North East outfit could simply have blocked Cabaye's efforts to force through a switch, the minutes of Monday's meeting - as reported in the Evening Chronicle - read: "The board repeated that the player was adamant he wanted to leave.

"The board also explained that the player could not be sure the opportunity to join PSG would be available at a later date and he therefore wanted to take it.

"The club's preference was to keep the player and for him to remain at the club long term."

Newcastle representatives also claim that efforts were made to cover the loss of Cabaye, with a 'substantial bid' tabled for one top target - believed to be Lyon's Clement Grenier.

The minutes read: "The board suggested that if it was to be self-critical, it should have had a young player who could naturally step into the squad as it aims to in all positions.

"In respect of the transfer, the board explained that the club did not want to sell the player. However, the player was adamant he wanted to leave.

"The club made a substantial bid for a replacement but an agreement could not be reached with the prospective selling club. The club also pursued other options but particular clubs were unwilling to sell.

"The board explained that the January window is disruptive for clubs and that there are far more options available to it in the summer window."


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Manchester City boss Pellegrini hits back over recent criticism

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has come out fighting amid speculation over his future at the Etihad.

Petr Cech not likely to leave Chelsea unless huge transfer fee involved

Jose Mourinho says it will take "huge money" to prise goalkeeper Petr Cech away from Chelsea this summer.

Mile Jedinak will serve four-match ban after accepting FA charge

Crystal Palace midfielder Mile Jedinak will serve a four-match suspension after accepting a Football Association charge of violent conduct.

Mail Box

There Are Mitigating Circumstances For LVG

One Mailboxer is admant there are mitigating circumstances to LVG's struggles at Manchester Utd and he offers his four signings for next season...

LVG Stick Needs A Little Context...

LVG's rough ride from the media needs some context - then you would understand, while the Mailbox urges Nabil Bentaleb to go down...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company