FA to request Anelka ban transfer

The Football Association will seek to ensure Nicolas Anelka serves his 'quenelle' suspension wherever he goes next.

Last Updated: 16/03/14 at 13:46 Post Comment

Latest Articles

Transfer news: Alan Irvine rules out imminent arrivals at West Brom

Post comment

Alan Irvine says he has no deals in the pipeline that he expects to be completed before West Brom's next outing.

Transfer news: Victor Moses snubbed other options in favour of Stoke

Post comment

Victor Moses claims to have had 'a few other options' to consider when making the decision to join Stoke on loan.

All Articles

Nicolas Anelka: Sacked by West Brom

Nicolas Anelka: Sacked by West Brom

The controversial French forward was sacked by West Brom on Friday for "gross misconduct", both for making the 'quenelle' gesture - widely considered to be anti-Semitic - in a game against West Ham on December 28 and for failing to make an apology for it or to accept a club fine over the incident.

Press Association Sport understands the FA will write to world governing body FIFA on Monday to ask that the five-match ban it imposed for the gesture is served by Anelka at whichever club he may choose to go to next.

Anelka cannot play for another club until next season, because the transfer window is currently closed.

West Brom played Swansea on Saturday but - because Anelka's contract had been terminated prior to that game - he still has the full five matches of the ban to serve.

The FA will also request that the punishment only be considered complete once the player has paid the £80,000 fine issued alongside the ban, and once he has completed an education course.

FIFA would be expected to agree to the FA's request, but the FA could withhold the player's registration in the event that FIFA did not extend the ban worldwide.

On Friday Anelka announced on Twitter that he had terminated his agreement with the Baggies, saying he was not prepared to accept the conditions being imposed on him by the club.

Later that evening the club announced he had been sacked for gross misconduct, both in relation to making the gesture in the first place and by then announcing his departure via social media.

The statement added: "The club notes Nicolas Anelka is unwilling to agree to the conditions set by it which may have enabled his suspension to be lifted and for him to resume training.

"These conditions were, firstly, that the club required Nicolas Anelka to apologise to it, its supporters, sponsors and the wider community for the impact and consequences of his gesture made on December 28 and secondly, that he accept a substantial fine."

The FA announced on Thursday that it would not appeal against the length of Anelka's suspension.


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30


Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property